RP2chil

Default I'm trying to fit lots of text in a cell

Hi, I am working on a legal document and our client has requested that we use
this particular worksheet for a particular data.

I'm trying to copy/paste about 3-4 paragraphs of data into one cell, and I
have minimized the font, stretched the row and column, however, I still get
text not appearing in the cell. The amoutn of characters in this particular
cell are possibly around 1,500 range.. I know this is so counterproductive,
however, I do have to stick with Excel program.

Thanks.

I'm not proficient with functions or anything, so if your response is with
functions, etc. can you please be specific :-).. Thanks much.
Bob Umlas, Excel MVP

You can use a text box instead of a cell to contain such large amounts of
data. To get to the text box tool, you can right-click any menu or tool and
select Drawing. The 8th or 9th toolbar button will look like a square with
the letter A in the upper left corner. Click this, draw the square/rectangle,
paste the text inside. You can make the text box larger/smaller by dragging a
corner.

"RP2chil" wrote:

Hi, I am working on a legal document and our client has requested that we use
this particular worksheet for a particular data.

I'm trying to copy/paste about 3-4 paragraphs of data into one cell, and I
have minimized the font, stretched the row and column, however, I still get
text not appearing in the cell. The amoutn of characters in this particular
cell are possibly around 1,500 range.. I know this is so counterproductive,
however, I do have to stick with Excel program.

Thanks.

I'm not proficient with functions or anything, so if your response is with
functions, etc. can you please be specific :-).. Thanks much.

Mike

The display limit is 1,024 characters. That is it. Font size does not
matter. Stretching does not matter. The 1,024 character limit is cut in
stone. Imagine you were sucked out of an airplane at 50,000 feet with no
parachute and when you land you do not want to be hurt. The limit is 1,024
characters to be displayed in a cell. The legal document needs to be
modified to accommodate this limit such as additional cells.

"RP2chil" wrote:

Hi, I am working on a legal document and our client has requested that we use
this particular worksheet for a particular data.

I'm trying to copy/paste about 3-4 paragraphs of data into one cell, and I
have minimized the font, stretched the row and column, however, I still get
text not appearing in the cell. The amoutn of characters in this particular
cell are possibly around 1,500 range.. I know this is so counterproductive,
however, I do have to stick with Excel program.

Thanks.

I'm not proficient with functions or anything, so if your response is with
functions, etc. can you please be specific :-).. Thanks much.

Gord Dibben

Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
be printed"

To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
spots, about every 200 characters..

The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

How far is not really known. Just experiment.

.........From Dave Peterson..........

I put this formula in A1:
="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
characters to print ok.

.........End Dave P.................

Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text or MS Word which is a word
processing application, unlike Excel which is not.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:45:25 -0700, "RP2chil"
wrote:

Hi, I am working on a legal document and our client has requested that we use
this particular worksheet for a particular data.

I'm trying to copy/paste about 3-4 paragraphs of data into one cell, and I
have minimized the font, stretched the row and column, however, I still get
text not appearing in the cell. The amoutn of characters in this particular
cell are possibly around 1,500 range.. I know this is so counterproductive,
however, I do have to stick with Excel program.

Thanks.

I'm not proficient with functions or anything, so if your response is with
functions, etc. can you please be specific :-).. Thanks much.

RP2chil

Hi, thanks very much for the responses here.

Gord, when you specify the formula, do I do that by going into Data /
Validation?

I appreciate your assistance very much :-)
--
- RP -

wrote:

Hi, I am working on a legal document and our client has requested that we use
this particular worksheet for a particular data.

I'm trying to copy/paste about 3-4 paragraphs of data into one cell, and I
have minimized the font, stretched the row and column, however, I still get
text not appearing in the cell. The amoutn of characters in this particular
cell are possibly around 1,500 range.. I know this is so counterproductive,
however, I do have to stick with Excel program.

Thanks.

I'm not proficient with functions or anything, so if your response is with
functions, etc. can you please be specific :-).. Thanks much.

Dave Peterson

That was a formula to put long test data into a cell.

Make sure wrap text is turned on.
And the columnwidth is wide enough as well as the rowheight.

And try a font of about 5 point for that cell.

The purpose of the formula is to show that the specifications in excel's help
isn't correct.

wrote:

Hi, I am working on a legal document and our client has requested that we use
this particular worksheet for a particular data.

I'm trying to copy/paste about 3-4 paragraphs of data into one cell, and I
have minimized the font, stretched the row and column, however, I still get
text not appearing in the cell. The amoutn of characters in this particular
cell are possibly around 1,500 range.. I know this is so counterproductive,
however, I do have to stick with Excel program.

Thanks.

I'm not proficient with functions or anything, so if your response is with
functions, etc. can you please be specific :-).. Thanks much.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob

That was an excellent suggestion.
I love using Excel so much so I'm glad there was a way around this problem.

cheerio from downunder
Linda