Janski

Default CSV formatted files open odly in Excel 2000

Hi,

in my company we output csv-formatted files from intranet service and open
them to Excel. We all have Excel version 2000.

In some machines the files open correctly: All the data is separated to
different columns. In some machines when we open the same file, all the data
is put only to one column.

If I first save the csv file to harddrive and then open it to Excel, the
data is separated correctly in all machines.

I have checked out regional settings in each machine. They are right. Our
office is in Finland so our decimal separator is comma as well as our list
separator is comma.

In those machines where the csv doesn't open correctly when opened by
Internet Explorer from intranet, I tried to change the decimal separator to
period (.) and kept comma as list separator. After that the csv files started
to open correctly.

Is this a XP service pack 2 problem? I think in those machines that open csv
correctly don't have XP service pack 2 installed. In those machines that csv
doesn't open correctly they have SP 2 installed. The Excel versions and
service releases for that are the same.
b_lum81

We are having the exact same problem with Office 2000, and Windows XP
SP2 machines.

Has it been confirmed that SP2 is a part of the problem? Is there a
resolution for this?

Regards,
Bryan

--
b_lum81
b_lum81's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27040

rbecerra

as far as I remember, I was experiencing the same problem. And the
cause was the regional settings of the computers (digit grouping char
and decimal char).

For a CSV to be openned successfully in Excel, your digit group
character should be ",".

Hope this could help

--
rbecerra
rbecerra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27043

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Al

This can also be cause by a damaged Registry Office XP Excel Options key
If you know about the Registry, it is the following key which you can delete
to fix the problem - I recommend you Export the key first for backup

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Office
XX ( this is the version of Office 10.0=XP, 11=2003)
Excel
Options (Export then delete this key)

The CSV files should work after that.

Hi,