Doug

Default Problem with Equation Display

I am a resonably experienced Excel user trying to use to enter some equations
into a new spreadsheet. Something's screwy because the cells where I typed
my equations are displaying the equation and not the result. I tried doing
things differently - using Excel to prod me to enter the equation, and even
using simple equations like "=1/2" to try to get a numerical result. No
luck, all I get is a text form of the equation. The
Tools/Options/View/Formulas checkbox is clear, so that is not the problem.
What can I have set wrong?
Doug
Dave O

Are the cells in question formatted as text? Try formatting them as
numbers, or currency, or General, and see if you get the desired
results.

Doug

Thanks guys,
I don't know how it happened, but you were both right. Changing the format
to general fixed the problem.
Doug

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

Those cells are probably formatted as Text (Format | Cells... | Number
tab). Format them as 'General' and then enter the formula.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,