micro1330

Default Excel formula that counts events after a certain date?

I need to set up a formula that will add up the number of people in my
spreadsheet whose birthdate is before a certain date.
Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

micro1330 wrote:
I need to set up a formula that will add up the number of people in my
spreadsheet whose birthdate is before a certain date.

If your birth dates are in column B, then:

= COUNTIF(B1:B100,"< 1/2/2001")

Bill

micro1330 wrote:

I need to set up a formula that will add up the number of people in my
spreadsheet whose birthdate is before a certain date.

If your birth dates are in column B, then:

= COUNTIF(B1:B100,"< 1/2/2001")

Bill

Sure... Figure what date makes people that age and plug it into that formula.
You can either do the figuring manually or ask Excel to do it for you.

= Today() - (50*365.25)

for example would calculate the date on which someone was born who is currently
50 years old.

Bill
micro1330

I can't get it to calculate correctly. Here is my formula
=COUNTIF(B4:B39,"TODAY()-(18*365.25)")
I should be getting 2 for this particular sheet and am getting 0
I also tried putting the portion in paranthesis in another cell and
directing the formula there. That also doesn't work. Where am I messing up?

micro1330 wrote:

I need to set up a formula that will add up the number of people in my
spreadsheet whose birthdate is before a certain date.

If your birth dates are in column B, then:

= COUNTIF(B1:B100,"< 1/2/2001")

Bill

Sure... Figure what date makes people that age and plug it into that formula.
You can either do the figuring manually or ask Excel to do it for you.

= Today() - (50*365.25)

for example would calculate the date on which someone was born who is currently
50 years old.

Bill

Ok, assuming A1 contains the reference date try it this way:

={SUM(IF(B1:B100<A$1,1,0))}

Note that this is an array formula, so when you type it in you use
Shift-Ctrl-Enter -- not just the normal Enter key.

Bill