Tatakau

Default It's Gone!

A co-worker somehow destroyed an important excel spreadsheet and wants me to
do the impossible. The file is completely blank.

The system is running Windows 98 and Office 97. The file was stored on a
network drive (M:). I checked the dates for the file: Created on 8/19/2005
4:33 PM, Last Saved on 8/19/2005 4:44 PM. And last edited on her computer.

Well, that sorta speeks for itself. I don't think there is any hope, but
maybe you know of a temporary directory to hold files when an Office program
opens a file, or in the Windows or user directories... And maybe not. I'm
thinking we need to chalk this one up as a loss.

Thanks,

Nick
Paul Sheppard

Tatakau Wrote:
A co-worker somehow destroyed an important excel spreadsheet and wants
me to
do the impossible. The file is completely blank.

The system is running Windows 98 and Office 97. The file was stored on
network drive (M:). I checked the dates for the file: Created on
8/19/2005
4:33 PM, Last Saved on 8/19/2005 4:44 PM. And last edited on her
computer.

Well, that sorta speeks for itself. I don't think there is any hope,
but
maybe you know of a temporary directory to hold files when an Office
program
opens a file, or in the Windows or user directories... And maybe not.
I'm
thinking we need to chalk this one up as a loss.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick

If the file was on a network drive, contact your network administrator,
they usually back up the network each night, so you should be able to
get last nights back up, at least then you will only have to re-do any
changes made today

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398644

CLR

Check the filesize......."blank" files may not always be completely
empty.......could have a hidden sheet and just "appear" blank.......

Vaya con dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Tatakau" wrote:

A co-worker somehow destroyed an important excel spreadsheet and wants me to
do the impossible. The file is completely blank.

The system is running Windows 98 and Office 97. The file was stored on a
network drive (M:). I checked the dates for the file: Created on 8/19/2005
4:33 PM, Last Saved on 8/19/2005 4:44 PM. And last edited on her computer.

Well, that sorta speeks for itself. I don't think there is any hope, but
maybe you know of a temporary directory to hold files when an Office program
opens a file, or in the Windows or user directories... And maybe not. I'm
thinking we need to chalk this one up as a loss.

Thanks,

Nick

CLR

Well then.......chances are MIS didn't even get a chance to save a backup in
the 11 minutes of this files life, but the good news is, it couldn't have
been "too" complicated a file if it was created at 4:33 and destroyed at
4:44.......maybe during that period your friend emailed a copy to
somebody.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Tatakau" wrote:

A co-worker somehow destroyed an important excel spreadsheet and wants me to
do the impossible. The file is completely blank.

The system is running Windows 98 and Office 97. The file was stored on a
network drive (M:). I checked the dates for the file: Created on 8/19/2005
4:33 PM, Last Saved on 8/19/2005 4:44 PM. And last edited on her computer.

Well, that sorta speeks for itself. I don't think there is any hope, but
maybe you know of a temporary directory to hold files when an Office program
opens a file, or in the Windows or user directories... And maybe not. I'm
thinking we need to chalk this one up as a loss.

Thanks,

Nick

Tatakau

Ack - sorry! The file was created at 4:43 and was last modified at 4:44.
But the user had been working on the file for a week or two before that.
Meaning.... some sorta copy-paste error or something.

I took Paul's advice and e-mailed one of the ITs for the network... still
haven't heard back from em. Hopefully they have a backup.

Thanks for your help!

Nick

"Tatakau" wrote:

A co-worker somehow destroyed an important excel spreadsheet and wants me to
do the impossible. The file is completely blank.

The system is running Windows 98 and Office 97. The file was stored on a
network drive (M:). I checked the dates for the file: Created on 8/19/2005
4:33 PM, Last Saved on 8/19/2005 4:44 PM. And last edited on her computer.

Well, that sorta speeks for itself. I don't think there is any hope, but
maybe you know of a temporary directory to hold files when an Office program
opens a file, or in the Windows or user directories... And maybe not. I'm
thinking we need to chalk this one up as a loss.

Thanks,

Nick

CLR

You're welcome, and good luck with MIS.........BTW, one other thing you might
do is check the user's TRASH bin, for the file and/or for some weirdly named
file that might be it in disguise......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3