Rory Carroll

Default vlookup - Best match?

I have 2 excel sheets. The company name field in both differ in most cases.
currently I do a vlookup like this
=VLOOKUP(AH5033,companydetails_company.xls!M$2:M$1 491,1,FALSE)

For example on the first excel sheet I will have: "Greenberg Ltd" and then
on the other sheet I might have "Greenberg Ltd." or "UK Greenberg"

Is there something called a best match? Its a once off thing I need to do
so efficency is not an issue.

I'd really appreciate the help with this one.
Tom Ogilvy

there is no artificial intelligence built into the function, but you can
possibly use something along the lines of

=Vlookup("*Greenberg*",range,2,False)

You would have to sort out how to identify the critical string to look for.

Tom Ogilvy

"Rory Carroll" wrote in message
I have 2 excel sheets. The company name field in both differ in most

cases.
currently I do a vlookup like this
=VLOOKUP(AH5033,companydetails_company.xls!M$2:M$1 491,1,FALSE)

For example on the first excel sheet I will have: "Greenberg Ltd" and then
on the other sheet I might have "Greenberg Ltd." or "UK Greenberg"

Is there something called a best match? Its a once off thing I need to do
so efficency is not an issue.

I'd really appreciate the help with this one.

Michael

Could you explain a little more about what you're trying to achieve? Is it
just to see if a company name is in both sheets? Usually, the VLOOKUP
function is used to pull data from a table based on an ID of some kind, such
as monthly sales based on company name or branch.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"Rory Carroll" wrote:

I have 2 excel sheets. The company name field in both differ in most cases.
currently I do a vlookup like this
=VLOOKUP(AH5033,companydetails_company.xls!M$2:M$1 491,1,FALSE)

For example on the first excel sheet I will have: "Greenberg Ltd" and then
on the other sheet I might have "Greenberg Ltd." or "UK Greenberg"

Is there something called a best match? Its a once off thing I need to do
so efficency is not an issue.

I'd really appreciate the help with this one.

Rory Carroll

Ok, I have 2 excel sheets full of data and I want to pull out common rows
where the company name is the same.
Using vlookup gives me only a few of the companies, but I know there are
more that aren't exactly the same name (ie have an extra space or have ltd at
the end, etc)

Using =vlookup(*greenberg*,smallertable,1,false) will not work... I will be
searching by cells eg
=VLOOKUP(AH2,'CompanyName_smallertable.xls'!M$2:M$ 1491,1,FALSE)

I can't put *'s around AH2, or do I have to do something else with it?