Randall Clark

Default How to make a cell hold numbers as a length of time in xcel?

I am setting up a "tab-delimited" file to import into another program. The
file is to import "Titles" for Television. Each "Title" carries a length that
is measured in HH:MM:SS. When I input these numbers into the cell, they get
converted to a date with a clock time EXAMPLE 40:46:00 turns into "1/2/1904
4:46:00 PM". I just want to put in 46:46:00 and have it stay as
"text"......HELP ME PLEASE
Gary's Student

Before typing the number, select the cells (or columns or rows) and then:

Format Cells... Number and select Text

Excel will then leave you data alone.

Good Luck
--
Gary's Student

"Randall Clark" wrote:

I am setting up a "tab-delimited" file to import into another program. The
file is to import "Titles" for Television. Each "Title" carries a length that
is measured in HH:MM:SS. When I input these numbers into the cell, they get
converted to a date with a clock time EXAMPLE 40:46:00 turns into "1/2/1904
4:46:00 PM". I just want to put in 46:46:00 and have it stay as
"text"......HELP ME PLEASE

Paul Sheppard

Randall Clark Wrote:
I am setting up a "tab-delimited" file to import into another program.
The
file is to import "Titles" for Television. Each "Title" carries a
length that
is measured in HH:MM:SS. When I input these numbers into the cell, they
get
converted to a date with a clock time EXAMPLE 40:46:00 turns into
"1/2/1904
4:46:00 PM". I just want to put in 46:46:00 and have it stay as
"text"......HELP ME PLEASE

Hi Randall

To simply enter it as text enter it as follows

'40:46:00

However if entered as text you cannot use it in calculations

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397830