linda raye

Default excel vs. word which is better

ineed a comparision between word and excel
JE McGimpsey

Word is a word processor, XL is a spreadsheet. Word is better for word
processing tasks, XL is better for spreadsheet tasks.

There's some, but not much, overlap in their capabilities. What are you
trying to do?

In article ,

ineed a comparision between word and excel

Paul (ESI)

A question like "Which is better?" depends upon what you are trying to do.
Both are very useful tools for very different tasks. Enlighten us, what is it
you wish to do? Then we can tell you which is the better tool for the job? If
you question is just a question of which is better in general, I'd venture to
say neither, but I figure it would be a matter of opinion. Kinda hard to say
which is better if you are asking just in general, though. They are different
programs for different tasks. Hard to compare them.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

"linda raye" <linda wrote:

ineed a comparision between word and excel

Dave Peterson

If you were a science/math major, excel is better.

If you were an English major, Word is better.

If you were an Arts History major, then powerpoint is better.

<vbg

linda raye wrote:

ineed a comparision between word and excel

--

Dave Peterson
Paul (ESI)

If you were an IT major (or IST, in my university's case), you'd use all
three, plus Microsoft Access, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Front Page,
Macromedia Dreamweaver, Macromedia Fireworks, Macromedia Flash, possibly
Macromedia Director.... hmmm.... am I forgetting anything? Visual Basic.....

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

linda raye wrote:

ineed a comparision between word and excel

--

Dave Peterson

Amedee Van Gasse

In , Paul (ESI)
told us an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom
of this message.

If you were an IT major (or IST, in my university's case), you'd use
all three, plus Microsoft Access, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Front
Page, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Macromedia Fireworks, Macromedia Flash,
possibly Macromedia Director.... hmmm.... am I forgetting anything?
Visual Basic.....

No, you'd be using LaTeX, AbiWord, GnuCalc, OpenOffice, Nvu, Apache,
MySQL, PHP, Python, Perl,...
:-p

--
Amedee Van Gasse
Paul (ESI)

There you go. Those too. I thought I was forgetting some. Actually, though, I
haven't heard of a few that you mentioned. We never used them at my
university.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

In , Paul (ESI)
told us an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom
of this message.

If you were an IT major (or IST, in my university's case), you'd use
all three, plus Microsoft Access, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Front
Page, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Macromedia Fireworks, Macromedia Flash,
possibly Macromedia Director.... hmmm.... am I forgetting anything?
Visual Basic.....

No, you'd be using LaTeX, AbiWord, GnuCalc, OpenOffice, Nvu, Apache,
MySQL, PHP, Python, Perl,...
:-p

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Amedee Van Gasse

In , Paul (ESI)
told us an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom
of this message.

There you go. Those too. I thought I was forgetting some. Actually,
though, I haven't heard of a few that you mentioned. We never used
them at my university.

My uni days are almost 10 years behind me, so some of the newer
software didn't exist yet in those days. But then again, people at the
uni of Ghent were always very involved with Unix then and Linux now.

--
Amedee Van Gasse