New Pivot Table User

Default Pivot Tables

I am new to pivot tables. My pivot table is summarizing by customer number
(under Row). How do I show the customer name next to the customer number?
When I try to move it there, it tries to summarize again.
Debra Dalgleish

Add customer name to the row area
Double-click on the customer name button
For Subtotals, choose None
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

New Pivot Table User

I am creating my pivot table from multiple Excel files. For example:

(File 1)
custnbr custname sales detail yr 1
(File 2)
custnbr custname sales detail yr 2
(File 3)
custnbr custname sales detail yr 3

When I use the pivot table wizard and go to layout, it does not show me
column titles as some of the posts and links show, but just ROW, COLUMN,
VALUE.

What I am trying to end up in my pivot table is:

On Row Side:
custnbr custname
On Column Side:
sum sales dtl yr1 sum sales dtl yr2 sum sales dtl yr 3

I am getting the sums ok, but the custname is appearing on the COLUMN side.
I don't know how to not sum only that column.

If I try to change layout, it shows me only one COLUMN to drag to row side.
If I drag it, it moves ALL columns to row side.

Can you help?

New Pivot Table User wrote:
I am new to pivot tables. My pivot table is summarizing by customer number
(under Row). How do I show the customer name next to the customer number?
When I try to move it there, it tries to summarize again.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

If you create a Pivot Table from multiple consolidation ranges, as you
discovered, you won't get the same pivot table layout that you'd get
from a single range. There's an example he

If possible, store your data in a single worksheet, and you'll have more
flexibility in creating the pivot table.