Natman

Default Date formatting won't work

I would like to enter dates in a field using dd/mm/yy, however I want it to
display the DAY also ie: ddd dd/mm/yy. I have tried to format the cell in
custom formatting however it displays exactly what I have typed, even though
the formatting indicates it should read the way I want it to.
I have just purchased this copy of Office 2003. Any ideas would be
appreciated.
Mangesh Yadav

It is probably because you are entering a date like 31/12/2005 and excel is
trying to read it as mm/dd/yyyy and since there is no month = 31 it converts
the whole thing into text string.

Always enter as say 31 dec 2004, and whatever format you have used, it will
get converted automatically

Mangesh

"Natman" wrote in message
I would like to enter dates in a field using dd/mm/yy, however I want it

display the DAY also ie: ddd dd/mm/yy. I have tried to format the cell in
custom formatting however it displays exactly what I have typed, even

though
the formatting indicates it should read the way I want it to.
I have just purchased this copy of Office 2003. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Natman

Thanks for your reply Mangesh, you are correct it does work that way, however
I think in previous versions of excel I have been able to enter it the other
way (ie. the Australian way).

Natman

"Natman" wrote in message
I would like to enter dates in a field using dd/mm/yy, however I want it

display the DAY also ie: ddd dd/mm/yy. I have tried to format the cell in
custom formatting however it displays exactly what I have typed, even

though
the formatting indicates it should read the way I want it to.
I have just purchased this copy of Office 2003. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 03:41:02 -0700, Natman
wrote:

Thanks for your reply Mangesh, you are correct it does work that way, however
I think in previous versions of excel I have been able to enter it the other
way (ie. the Australian way).

It may be a Windows setting and not an Excel format issue.

Check Start/Control Panel/Regional Settings. Excel should parse your date
entry per the format of the short date at that setting.

--ron