Stefi

Default Formatting a range of cells doesn't work

Hi All,
I have a workbook exported by Access. Selecting a unique cell or a range of
cells the cell formatting doesn't work neither chosen from the menu nor
right-clicking on the cell (the formatting dialog-box doesn't come up at
all). Selecting an entire column or row cell formatting works normally.
What is the cause of this and how to fix the problem?
Regards,
Stefi

Bryan Hessey

Not heard of this before, but if it's a single sheet you could Insert,
Worksheet, copy the old worksheet, select cell A1 on the new worksheet
and Paste Special, Values (assuming there was no intended formatting
transferred)

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392850

Stefi

Hi Bryan,
This method didn't help, on the contrary it gave an entirely surprising
result: Cell formatting dialog doesn't come up even if entire column or row
is selected. I tried to copy the content into a separate workbook, the result
is the same. (XP, Excel2000).
Stefi

Bryan Hessey ezt *rta:

Stefi Wrote:
Hi All,
I have a workbook exported by Access. Selecting a unique cell or a
range of
cells the cell formatting doesn't work neither chosen from the menu
nor
right-clicking on the cell (the formatting dialog-box doesn't come up
at
all). Selecting an entire column or row cell formatting works
normally.
What is the cause of this and how to fix the problem?
Regards,
Stefi

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392850

Bryan Hessey

If you open Excel and in a new workbook, a new worksheet, select a
single cell (like D4) is cell formatting permitted? If so select a
range, format permitted?
Select a column, format permitted? Select a row, format permitted?

You need to see if the problem relates solely to the ex-Access data, if
so you can save-as to a .csv file, open that file in Notepad to check,
save as a new .csv file, and then import that into a clean workbook.
That should remove any problems (should).

However, life being what it is, do you have any macros loaded? Tools,
Macro, Macros, if there are macros there are they yours and correct?

Do any other old worksheets have this problem?

Any other clues?

If the problem persists, can you save a copy of the book, then delete
all but a few rows, overtype data to disguise it, then post a copy ?

Stefi Wrote:
Hi All,
I have a workbook exported by Access. Selecting a unique cell or a
range of
cells the cell formatting doesn't work neither chosen from the

menu
nor
right-clicking on the cell (the formatting dialog-box doesn't come

up
at
all). Selecting an entire column or row cell formatting works
normally.
What is the cause of this and how to fix the problem?
Regards,
Stefi

--
Bryan Hessey

Bryan Hessey's Profile:

View this thread:

Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392850

Stefi

Hi Bryan,
I was on a holiday, that's why I reply only now.

If you open Excel and in a new workbook, a new worksheet, select a
single cell (like D4) is cell formatting permitted? YES

If so select a
range, format permitted? YES
Select a column, format permitted? YES

Select a row, format permitted? YES

You need to see if the problem relates solely to the ex-Access data, if
so you can save-as to a .csv file, open that file in Notepad to check,
save as a new .csv file, and then import that into a clean workbook.
That should remove any problems (should). IT DID!!!

However, life being what it is, do you have any macros loaded? Tools,
Macro, Macros, if there are macros there are they yours and correct? NO

Do any other old worksheets have this problem? NO

Any other clues? NO

If the problem persists, can you save a copy of the book, then delete
all but a few rows, overtype data to disguise it, then post a copy ?

The problem is now solved via a bypass. What's your opinion, does it make
any sense to search for a direct solution (or at least explanation) any
longer?

Many thanks,
Stefi

Stefi Wrote:
Hi Bryan,
This method didn't help, on the contrary it gave an entirely
surprising
result: Cell formatting dialog doesn't come up even if entire column or
row
is selected. I tried to copy the content into a separate workbook, the
result
is the same. (XP, Excel2000).
Stefi

âžBryan Hessey❠ezt Ã*rta:

Stefi Wrote:
[...]

Bryan Hessey

Stefi,

There are many solutions to a problem, some complex which work but are
hard to change, some are easier but become easier to change, and some
are just downright inefficient but work.

For my money the 'correct' solution is the one that works for you, even
if that is something totally unrelated to any replies you may have
received whether they assisted in the decision or not.

I think most helpers, like myself, are happy that you responded, and
happier still that you have a working solution irrespective of it's
source.

If you feel there is a need for a 'better' solution then you can
persist with your question, or run some tests then ask a completely new
question.

but for your reply - Thanks

Stefi Wrote:
[...]

Stefi

Hi Bryan,
I always reply to helpers' messages, because I suppose that they (and via
them the community) can benefit from feedbacks showing that the suggested
solution worked or didn't work, especially in mysterious cases like mine one
was. The solution is sufficient for me, I think that from now on MS
developers should pay attention to this problem (it seems to be an obvious
bug)!
Regards,
Stefi

Bryan Hessey ezt *rta:

Stefi Wrote:
Hi Bryan,
This method didn't help, on the contrary it gave an entirely
surprising
result: Cell formatting dialog doesn't come up even if entire

column or
row
is selected. I tried to copy the content into a separate workbook,

the
result
is the same. (XP, Excel2000).
Stefi