Sprout

Default Referencing a formula

I am having problems working out how to reference an entire formula from
another cell so that it doesn’t just bring in the calculated value.

e.g. I want it so that when I make a change to one formula it will
update the formulas in all the other workbooks, without me having to
copy and paste it

Thanks

--
Sprout
Sprout's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26411

Dave O

How about the OFFSET() function, using cell references in the
arguments?

Sprout

Not too sure if this will do what I require, apologies I probably
didn’t explain myself well.

What im aiming to create is a master sheet with all my formulas on.

I then will set up separate workbooks which will pull in the formulas
from the master sheet and not just the values. e.g. pull in
=G$5+Input!A4 and not just the answer e.g. 5. (input relates to a
worksheet containing lookup tables)

This will mean if I need to amend the formula to say A5 instead of A4 I
can just update the formula in one place saving me having to copy and
paste the new formula into each spreadsheet.

(To be honest im not even too sure if thats possible in excel.)

You may also think why would I want to do that? Wont the answers be the
same if it’s the same formula. The answers no as taking the example
formula above it uses G5 which is workbook specific and relates to a
column number in a building which changes on each workbook sheet. This
therefore changes the answer even though the formula stays the same.