Rugby Al

Default Odd one

I have an odd one, when you put a simple =A10 in a cell, instead of returning
the value it puts the formula in the cell instead, but it doeasn't always do
it. It depends on the cell value you pick??

Dkso

Have you checked the format of the cell?
If it's set to text then you will get the formula displayed. Also for it to
happen sometimes but not all the time is the cell that you are putting the
"=A10" into changed by any other cell?

Dean
"Rugby Al" wrote in message
I have an odd one, when you put a simple =A10 in a cell, instead of
returning
the value it puts the formula in the cell instead, but it doeasn't always
do
it. It depends on the cell value you pick??

Rugby Al

I have checked the cell formatting and it is not set to text, I tried it
again and picked the cell above and it inserted the correct value, but a
different cell again and it put the formula in, it is really odd.

"Rugby Al" wrote in message
I have an odd one, when you put a simple =A10 in a cell, instead of
returning
the value it puts the formula in the cell instead, but it doeasn't always
do
it. It depends on the cell value you pick??

Dave Peterson

If I format A10 to be text (and type: ASDF in A10), then use this in A20:

=A10
I get ASDF returned in A20.

But if I select A20 and hit F2 (to edit the cell's formula) and then hit enter,
A20 is now formatted as Text and the formula displays in the cell.

This is excel's way of helping you!

And sometimes it helps. (When A10 is formatted as a date, you probably want the
formula =a10 to be formatted as a date.)

But it doesn't always help.

The bad news is that there ain't no changing this behavior.

--

Dave Peterson