Andy

Default Automatic scientific format when entering 5E100

When entering an alpha-numeric value into a cell such as 5E100, Excel
automatically converts this to the scientific numeric value. I know that this
can be over-ridden by placing an ' before the text, though I need to upload
the Excel file into a software programme and the ' is causing a problem.

Is there anyway to just have the alpha-numeric entry, but somehow 'fudge'
the format to ensure that it does not deafult to the scientific format. When
changing the format of the cell, it does not seem to revert back to 5E100,
regardless of the format.
Bryan Hessey

Andy,

Can you format the column to Text format before entering data? or is
there other problems caused by that.

[

QUOTE=Andy]When entering an alpha-numeric value into a cell such as

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=396061

Andy

Afraid not. The .csv is out-putted from one piece of software, and then
imported into another. Only way around that I have found is to output as .txt
and then the user has to maunlly import and create a specification to a text
format in Excel and re-save. Just trying to find a way to do this, but
without a lot of intervention...

"Bryan Hessey" wrote:

[...]

Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:30:03 -0700, "Andy"
wrote:

Afraid not. The .csv is out-putted from one piece of software, and then
imported into another. Only way around that I have found is to output as .txt
and then the user has to maunlly import and create a specification to a text
format in Excel and re-save. Just trying to find a way to do this, but
without a lot of intervention...

Prior to importing into Excel, you could just change the name of the file (or
of a copy) to use the .txt suffix. You could set up the file specification in
VBA and perhaps make it transparent to the user.

--ron