GSingh

Default How can I copy values from one cell in a column down to the next c

How can I copy values from one cell in a column down to the next cell IF the
2nd cell is blank, For example:

A1 = 20
B1 =

I want the value of A1 to be copied to B1 if B1 is blank/contains a value of
Null, I have about 11,000 records like this, whe If the next cell in the
column is blank, then I need to copy the previous cells data into that cell.
Sommerkal

2 ways:
Easiest-If you click on A1 you should see a plus sign showing in the border
at the bottom right. Click on that plus sign and hold down the mouse button
while dragging down.

Or-If the cell value increases by 1 at each row, then simply copy A1,
highlight (click on next cell and drag down) and then select copy.

"GSingh" wrote:

How can I copy values from one cell in a column down to the next cell IF the
2nd cell is blank, For example:

A1 = 20
B1 =

I want the value of A1 to be copied to B1 if B1 is blank/contains a value of
Null, I have about 11,000 records like this, whe If the next cell in the
column is blank, then I need to copy the previous cells data into that cell.

Paul Black

Hi GSingh,

In Cell "C1" for Example Enter the Formula :-
=IF(B1="",A1,IF(B1=0,A1,0))

All the Best.
Paul

Gord Dibben

You are mixing columns and rows I believe.

Column A would be A1, A2, A3 etc.

Row 1 would be A1, B1, C1 etc.

Select the column or row.

Hit F5SpecialBlanks.

With these selected, enter an = sign in active cell then point to cell above
or to left and hit CRTL + ENTER.

Copy the column or row and in place EditPaste SpecialValuesOKEsc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:27:01 -0700, GSingh
wrote:

How can I copy values from one cell in a column down to the next cell IF the
2nd cell is blank, For example:

A1 = 20
B1 =

I want the value of A1 to be copied to B1 if B1 is blank/contains a value of
Null, I have about 11,000 records like this, whe If the next cell in the
column is blank, then I need to copy the previous cells data into that cell.

Paul Black

Hi Again GSingh,

You could Also Enter in "C1" the Formula :-
=IF(OR(B1="",B1=0),A1)

All the Best.
Paul

GSingh

Im sorry, I really meant:

How can I copy values from one cell in a column down to the next cell IF the
2nd cell is blank, For example:

B1 = 20
B2 =

I want the value of B1 to be copied to B2 if B2 is blank/contains a value of

"GSingh" wrote:

How can I copy values from one cell in a column down to the next cell IF the
2nd cell is blank, For example:

A1 = 20
B1 =

I want the value of A1 to be copied to B1 if B1 is blank/contains a value of
Null, I have about 11,000 records like this, whe If the next cell in the
column is blank, then I need to copy the previous cells data into that cell.

Paul Black

Hi GSingh,

You could Use Column "B" JUST as your Input Column.
You could then Insert the Following Formula into Cell "C2" ...
=IF(OR(B2="",B2=0,B1),B2)
.... and Copy it Down.
Therefore Column "C" will be the Results Column you are After.

Hope this Helps.
All the Best.
Paul

Im sorry, I really meant:

"GSingh" wrote:

How can I copy values from one cell in a column down to the next cell IF the
2nd cell is blank, For example:

A1 = 20
B1 =

I want the value of A1 to be copied to B1 if B1 is blank/contains a value of
Null, I have about 11,000 records like this, whe If the next cell in the
column is blank, then I need to copy the previous cells data into that cell.

Paul Black

Ignore that. I will have Another Look at it and Re-Post.

All the Best.
Paul

Paul Black

Hi GSingh,

You could Use Column "B" JUST as your Input Column.
You could then Insert the Following Formula into Cell "C2" ...
=IF(OR(B1="",B1=0,B1)*IF(B2="",B2=0),C1,B2)