Flintstone

Default Custom Format time to arc

I'm trying to find a symbol to Format/Cells/Custom, a symbol that
represents the max value of 360°. I know "H" is equal to the max value
of 24 hours, "m" is equal to sixty minuets and "s" is equal to sixty
seconds, this [h] will roll hours over past 24, and I know to format
cells like this h° m' s.00\" but these symbols represent time not the
arc of 360°. I want to convert arc to time and time to arc with the
symbols in costum format, I don't think this is possible, is it? Am I
doing this backwards? Should I be working with a formula or a
combination of both? I've asked other people around me who have little
or no experience wit Excel and they more or less agree that I'm
confused.

I would greatly appreciate any insight.

Matt

--
Flintstone
Flintstone's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15310

JE McGimpsey

I can't really tell what you're trying to do. Time and arc are both
sexagesimal representations, so how they're interpreted is a matter of
what you decide to call them.

If you format the cells as

[hhh]° mm' ss.00\"

while making entries as 12:34:56.78 you should be able to use the
entries as arcs.

Take a look at

http://cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm

for a longer discussion.

In article ,
Flintstone
wrote:

I'm trying to find a symbol to Format/Cells/Custom, a symbol that
represents the max value of 360°. I know "H" is equal to the max value
of 24 hours, "m" is equal to sixty minuets and "s" is equal to sixty
seconds, this [h] will roll hours over past 24, and I know to format
cells like this h° m' s.00\" but these symbols represent time not the
arc of 360°. I want to convert arc to time and time to arc with the
symbols in costum format, I don't think this is possible, is it? Am I
doing this backwards? Should I be working with a formula or a
combination of both? I've asked other people around me who have little
or no experience wit Excel and they more or less agree that I'm
confused.

I would greatly appreciate any insight.

Matt

Flintstone

Your web page was exactly what I was looking for. thank you!

Matt