~D~

Default Question about Pivot Tables..why is that

WordXP

I created the pivot table successfully and am up to dragging the field and
putting them in the column.

Why is it that sometimes I put the field in the column and it fills out the
entire column with the info (ex. putting the "serial #" field in the column
produces all the serial numbers to show up in each cell underneath) and
other times I put the field in the column and all it shows is the sum
amount.

What is happening?

Thank you.

Nick Hodge

~D~

There are four 'areas' in a pivot table , row fields, column fields, page
fields and values. The value area is where the pivot table makes it's
'summary' view of the underlying data

If you drop a serial number into a row or column field it will show all the
values (Down or across depending on whether you drop it as a row or column
field). If you drop the same field into the 'value' area it will look at
the data and if it is numeric it'll make an attempt to 'sum' it, if it is
alpha numeric or text, it'll attempt to count the occurrences.

(Page fields are fields placed at the top of the pivot that provide a
'filter')

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"~D~" wrote in message
WordXP

I created the pivot table successfully and am up to dragging the field and
putting them in the column.

Why is it that sometimes I put the field in the column and it fills out
the
entire column with the info (ex. putting the "serial #" field in the
column
produces all the serial numbers to show up in each cell underneath) and
other times I put the field in the column and all it shows is the sum
amount.

What is happening?

Thank you.

~D~

I am doing something wrong..I want the serial numbers to populate in the
left column. When I drag the field and put it to the left all I am left with
is a field that saids serial numbers.

I want the other columns to populate as well.

Where am I putting them that they are appearing wrong?

Thank you.

"~D~" wrote in message
WordXP

I created the pivot table successfully and am up to dragging the field

and
putting them in the column.

Why is it that sometimes I put the field in the column and it fills out
the
entire column with the info (ex. putting the "serial #" field in the
column
produces all the serial numbers to show up in each cell underneath) and
other times I put the field in the column and all it shows is the sum
amount.

What is happening?

Thank you.

Nick Hodge

~D~

If you click the pivot table wizard you should be able to adjust the layout
here, simply drag the field for serial numbers onto the 'row' part of the
grid

--
HTH
Nick Hodge