Thomas Cox

Default Data Validation

If anyone can solve this problem then you are superstar.

What I am doing is creating an Invoice sheet, in which all of our company
details are in MS Access database which are export to a *.csv file, in which
I then link my invoice to the *.csv file using a combi box which use an
index formula to enter the company name into the invoice sheet. That works
great, then I am using a Vlookup to pull out the company address details by
using the company name as the LookUp value, ok this also works great,
although if say have a new company that needs to be invoiced and has not yet
been updated on our database which would be exported to the CSV, I need to
enter this manually although when this is done it obviously over types the
Vlookup can this avoided. Any ideas are much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!!

Bryan Hessey

Method one would be toi insert the new details into the lookup table
(area)

Method two would be to make the VLookup conditional on a non-blank
helper column, and you manually type data into that column which
obviates the vlookup activity

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=395278

Dave Peterson

Maybe you can use 3 cells.

cell one for the manual override (say A1)
cell two for the data retrieved from the CSV file (say B1)

and change your formula in the 3rd cell to point at the the correct cell:

=vlookup(if(a1<"",a1,b1),yourtable,yourcolumn,fal se)