glevine

Default problems using functions in excel 97

I am attempting to combine two columns into one in Excel 97. I am using
the function '=a1&" "&b1' to combine the data in row 1. It works in
Excel 2003, but it doesn't seem to work in 97. Does anyone have any
ideas as to why the function (or any function for that matter -- as I
have tried others) will work in 97? Please don't ask why it has to work
in 97, it just does. Thanks in advance.

--
glevine
glevine's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26198

Bernie Deitrick

glevine,

1) Don't enter the formula with a leading single quote
2) Make sure that the cell is formatted as General prior to entering a formula. Even though your
formula will be returning a text string, you DO NOT format the cell as text.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP