Wings

Default Converting Quatro Pro to Excel

How can this be done?
Doug Kanter

"Wings" wrote in message
How can this be done?

Excel 2000 has a converter available for that, but when installing Office,
the default is to NOT install that converter. Check your Office install
disk - you didn't mention what version you have. Later versions might not
have that converter, probably because Quattro Pro hasn't been around in a
zillion years. Then, you'll need to find someone who's got the converter
(like me!).

Harlan Grove

Doug Kanter wrote...
Excel 2000 has a converter available for that, but when installing Office,
the default is to NOT install that converter. Check your Office install
disk - you didn't mention what version you have. Later versions might not
have that converter, probably because Quattro Pro hasn't been around in a
zillion years. Then, you'll need to find someone who's got the converter
(like me!).

Um, Quattro Pro is still being upgraded and sold. So is Lotus 123,
FWLIW. However, Excel supports neither competitors' recent versions'
file formats (.QPW for Quattro Pro, first provided by Quattro Pro
version 9 in 1999, and .123 for 123, first provided by 123 97 Edition
in 1997). Basically, starting with Office 97 Microsoft has had more
than 85% or 90% market share, and with an effective, er, monopoly it
has no incentive to support anyone with the temerity to try to avoid
using (and paying for) Microsoft Office.

Without the sarcasm, Excel doesn't support what Quattro Pro has been
using as its default file format over the last 6 years, .QPW. No
spreadsheet other than Quattro Pro itself supports .QPW files. If the
OP needs to convert .QPW files to .XLS files, the OP's only practical
options are either to buy a copy of WordPerfect Office (which includes
Quattro Pro, which isn't sold as a stand-alone product) and save the
..QPW files as .XLS files or find someone else who already has Quattro
Pro and would do it for him/her.

Doug Kanter

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote...
[...]

Sorry - I didn't realize QP was still available as part of WP Office. Last
time I went to Corel's site to see if Paradox was still around, there was no
mention of it, and yet the people in the Paradox NG said it was available
from Corel. Bad site design - no idea if it's changed. Onward:

What was the WQ1 format I see in my file type list, associated with Quattro
Pro?

Doug Kanter

....and to finish the thought, if your file ends in WQ1, my converter can
handle it. But, as Harlan indicates, there's another file extension which
does NOT show in my list.

Harlan Grove

Doug Kanter wrote...
What was the WQ1 format I see in my file type list, associated with Quattro
Pro?

I believe that was the original Quattro Pro file format, dating back to
1990 or so. Similar to Lotus 123's .WK1 file format and Excel version
2/3/4 .XLs file format - all single worksheet files. More recent
Quattro Pro file formats were .WB1, .WB3 and .QPW (I don't recall
whether there was a .WB2 file format because I stopped using Quattro
Pro at version 5 in 1993 and only took it back up with QP9 for Linux in
2000, so I have no idea & no inclination to discover what QP versions
6-8 provided).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

how i can convert the .qpw to .xls?
please reply me.
tahnks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Get a copy of Quattro Pro (I think it has now got up to version 12),
load in your .qpw file, then use File | Save As to save it in .xls
format. Or find someone else who has QP and will do it for you (as
stated above).

Hope this helps.

Pete