Kirk P.

Default Text Only Default Behavior?

I was given an Excel spreadsheet from a small business client. It's very
simple - they track cash expenditures by day, so they have the dates listed
in rows down the left side, and column headers with their expense categories
across the top.

The problem with the spreadsheet is that EVERY date you enter automatically
converts to a serial number, and EVERY number converts to left justifed text.
Even using a function results in the syntax of the function appearing as
text in the cell, rather than the actual result of the function. Changing
the formatting isn't working. I'm thinking there must be some setting or
something that is allowing only text to be allowed in this spreadsheet. Does
anyone else have any ideas?
Ragdyer

Make sure that,
<Tools <Options <View tab,
And "Formulas" is *NOT* checked.

--
HTH,

RD

..

"Kirk P." wrote in message
[...]

Kirk P.

Perfect - thanks!

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Make sure that,
<Tools <Options <View tab,
And "Formulas" is *NOT* checked.

--
HTH,

RD

..

"Kirk P." wrote in message
[...]

Ragdyer

Appreciate the feed-back.

And, BTW, there is a keyboard shortcut to *toggle* between the "normal" and
"formula" view:

<Ctrl <`
Which is a single open quotes, found in different places on different
keyboards.
Mine is under the <Esc key, above the <Tab key, to the left of the "1" and
"!" key.

RD

"Kirk P." wrote in message
Perfect - thanks!

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Make sure that,
<Tools <Options <View tab,
And "Formulas" is *NOT* checked.

--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-
..