Rich

Default Active Cell displayed in another cell?

I have a column where the cell contents are sometimes 200+ characters long.
For me to see everything, I have to widen the column almost full-width of my
screen, forcing all other columns off the screen, leaving me no choice but to
scroll back and forth.

Normally, I could just select that cell and look in the Formula Bar to see
that cell's full contents. Unfortunately, this column uses a VLOOKUP formula
to populate the cells so I cannot see what the values are; all I see are the
formulas.

My worksheet already has split panes. In the top pane, I would like to merge
several cells together and be able to see the full width of any cell I select
*without* resizing that cell in the bottom pane. Can this be done?
Earl Kiosterud

Rich,

An event-driven macro could put the selected cell where you want it. Or
maybe better yet, in the status bar, or in a modeless form (stays on the
screen, and lets you continue working. Requires Excel 2000 or newer). We
can write it for you if you're interested.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

R.VENKATARAMAN

see this url
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...wse_frm/thread
/8b9e14819e518a7a/2d2903c450a5094c?lnk=st&q=see+cell+value+not+formu la+in+fo
rmula+bar&rnum=1#2d2903c450a5094c
Rich wrote in message

copy all the lines and paste in the address bar of your browser

I think (I am not an expert) it is not possible to show in the formula bar
only the value and not the formula

but you can try this
create a command button onthe sheet
the code will be

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
MsgBox ActiveCell.Value
End Sub

then highlight any cell and click command button

you will get the message box with the value of the active cell

try and see whether it satisfies your purpose.

--
remove $$$ from email addresss to send email

[...]

rgarber50

Have you thought obout using the format/alignment/wrap text feature?
This way you could adjust the row height and the column width could
remain the same. Perhaps you could create a macro that toggles row
autofit on and off?

I hope I understand what you are trying to achieve and this helps
Richard

rgarber50's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11350
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=393508