excel idiot

Default Sort creating total errors

I have a spreadsheet with about 20 columns and 8,000 rows. I have numerical
data in most of the columns corresponding to people. Like this:

John 9 6
Debbie 9 5
James 8 5

Total 26 16

If I highlight all columns and do a sort by the person's name, the total
number at the bottom changes even if the data has not changed. Do you know
why this is happening?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave Peterson

Well, if you're adding up what's in A1:A5 and sorting what's in rows 1:8000,
that could be the problem.

If you meant that you used a formula _like_ =sum(a1:a5)

but more like: =sum(a1:a8000)

then I don't have a guess.

excel idiot wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with about 20 columns and 8,000 rows. I have numerical
data in most of the columns corresponding to people. Like this:

John 9 6
Debbie 9 5
James 8 5

Total 26 16

If I highlight all columns and do a sort by the person's name, the total
number at the bottom changes even if the data has not changed. Do you know
why this is happening?

Thanks in advance for any help!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Frans van Zelm

Hi E.I.

Try this: select any name and sort up or down

In you approach, the achor point for the SUM-range are moved with the name.
A basic rule: never select before a sort. If you have to, there is something
wrong with your list.

Frans

"excel idiot" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with about 20 columns and 8,000 rows. I have

numerical
data in most of the columns corresponding to people. Like this:

John 9 6
Debbie 9 5
James 8 5

Total 26 16

If I highlight all columns and do a sort by the person's name, the total
number at the bottom changes even if the data has not changed. Do you

know
why this is happening?

Thanks in advance for any help!

fm

Make sure you are not selecting the total row. Make new
worksheet so you do not destroy you existing data. Put
Numbers in A1-A5, put a total in A6. Select A1-A5 and
sort. Did A6 change?

.