MrsMac2000

Default Book.Xlt v Book.xls ????

To change the default template - you are supposed to create a book.xlt and
save in the xlstart folder - however I have found that this doesn't work and
that I have to save it as an xls file in the xlstart folder.
has anyone else had this problem?
Is it due to being a work account and not a personal pc - the xlstart folder
is in
c:\documents and settings\(your user name)\application
daat\microsoft\excel\xlstart

it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!!! Microsoft refer to it as being xlt but it just
doesn't work!
Jim Rech

BOOK.XLT will work but only if you save using File, Save and changing the
file type to Template. Merely renaming an XLS to XLT will not do it.

--
Jim
"MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| To change the default template - you are supposed to create a book.xlt and
| save in the xlstart folder - however I have found that this doesn't work
and
| that I have to save it as an xls file in the xlstart folder.
| has anyone else had this problem?
| Is it due to being a work account and not a personal pc - the xlstart
folder
| is in
| c:\documents and settings\(your user name)\application
| daat\microsoft\excel\xlstart
|
| it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!!! Microsoft refer to it as being xlt but it
just
| doesn't work!

MrsMac2000

Hi Jim, thanks for your speedy reply...
but that's what I've been trying and my colleagues and it's not working.
we're saving as book.xlt as a template in the xlstart directory but it's not
picking it up whereas if I save an book.xls file in this directory (and say
change the font) then it picks this up...weird..

"Jim Rech" wrote:

BOOK.XLT will work but only if you save using File, Save and changing the
file type to Template. Merely renaming an XLS to XLT will not do it.

--
Jim
"MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| To change the default template - you are supposed to create a book.xlt and
| save in the xlstart folder - however I have found that this doesn't work
and
| that I have to save it as an xls file in the xlstart folder.
| has anyone else had this problem?
| Is it due to being a work account and not a personal pc - the xlstart
folder
| is in
| c:\documents and settings\(your user name)\application
| daat\microsoft\excel\xlstart
|
| it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!!! Microsoft refer to it as being xlt but it
just
| doesn't work!

Jim Rech

Well that's pretty odd. It _should_ work. Just as an experiment maybe you
could try moving BOOK.XLT to the XLSTART folder Office creates under the
Office installation folder (under Program Files). This folder behaves the
same as your "documents and settings" one except it kicks in for all users
set up on your machine. So this too "should" work<g.

--
Jim
"MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| Hi Jim, thanks for your speedy reply...
| but that's what I've been trying and my colleagues and it's not working.
| we're saving as book.xlt as a template in the xlstart directory but it's
not
| picking it up whereas if I save an book.xls file in this directory (and
say
| change the font) then it picks this up...weird..
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| BOOK.XLT will work but only if you save using File, Save and changing
the
| file type to Template. Merely renaming an XLS to XLT will not do it.
|
| --
| Jim
| "MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| | To change the default template - you are supposed to create a book.xlt
and
| | save in the xlstart folder - however I have found that this doesn't
work
| and
| | that I have to save it as an xls file in the xlstart folder.
| | has anyone else had this problem?
| | Is it due to being a work account and not a personal pc - the xlstart
| folder
| | is in
| | c:\documents and settings\(your user name)\application
| | daat\microsoft\excel\xlstart
| |
| | it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!!! Microsoft refer to it as being xlt but
it
| just
| | doesn't work!

Dave Peterson

What else do you have in that XLStart folder?

--

Dave Peterson

MrsMac2000

Hi Jim, yes it is very odd, I've just tried it on a colleagues pc and it
works perfectly! Rung our helpdesk and it didn't work for them so I'm stuck!
I've had a look in Program Files but there isn't an XLSTART folder in there
anywhere. The only last thing we could think is that it could be a registry
setting which is why it's working on some PCs and not others...
I'll let you know if we resolve it here at work!
Thanks for your help

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Well that's pretty odd. It _should_ work. Just as an experiment maybe you
could try moving BOOK.XLT to the XLSTART folder Office creates under the
Office installation folder (under Program Files). This folder behaves the
same as your "documents and settings" one except it kicks in for all users
set up on your machine. So this too "should" work<g.

--
Jim
"MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| Hi Jim, thanks for your speedy reply...
| but that's what I've been trying and my colleagues and it's not working.
| we're saving as book.xlt as a template in the xlstart directory but it's
not
| picking it up whereas if I save an book.xls file in this directory (and
say
| change the font) then it picks this up...weird..
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| BOOK.XLT will work but only if you save using File, Save and changing
the
| file type to Template. Merely renaming an XLS to XLT will not do it.
|
| --
| Jim
| "MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| | To change the default template - you are supposed to create a book.xlt
and
| | save in the xlstart folder - however I have found that this doesn't
work
| and
| | that I have to save it as an xls file in the xlstart folder.
| | has anyone else had this problem?
| | Is it due to being a work account and not a personal pc - the xlstart
| folder
| | is in
| | c:\documents and settings\(your user name)\application
| | daat\microsoft\excel\xlstart
| |
| | it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!!! Microsoft refer to it as being xlt but
it
| just
| | doesn't work!

Jim Rech

I've had a look in Program Files but there isn't an XLSTART folder in
there anywhere.

Make sure you open the Office folder and drill down into it. It should be
under OFFICE11 or OFFICE10 or just OFFICE (for Excel 2000).

--
Jim
"MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| Hi Jim, yes it is very odd, I've just tried it on a colleagues pc and it
| works perfectly! Rung our helpdesk and it didn't work for them so I'm
stuck!
| I've had a look in Program Files but there isn't an XLSTART folder in
there
| anywhere. The only last thing we could think is that it could be a
registry
| setting which is why it's working on some PCs and not others...
| I'll let you know if we resolve it here at work!
| Thanks for your help
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Well that's pretty odd. It _should_ work. Just as an experiment maybe
you
| could try moving BOOK.XLT to the XLSTART folder Office creates under the
| Office installation folder (under Program Files). This folder behaves
the
| same as your "documents and settings" one except it kicks in for all
users
| set up on your machine. So this too "should" work<g.
|
| --
| Jim
| "MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| | Hi Jim, thanks for your speedy reply...
| | but that's what I've been trying and my colleagues and it's not
working.
| | we're saving as book.xlt as a template in the xlstart directory but
it's
| not
| | picking it up whereas if I save an book.xls file in this directory
(and
| say
| | change the font) then it picks this up...weird..
| |
| | "Jim Rech" wrote:
| |
| | BOOK.XLT will work but only if you save using File, Save and
changing
| the
| | file type to Template. Merely renaming an XLS to XLT will not do
it.
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| | "MrsMac2000" wrote in message
| | | To change the default template - you are supposed to create a
book.xlt
| and
| | | save in the xlstart folder - however I have found that this
doesn't
| work
| | and
| | | that I have to save it as an xls file in the xlstart folder.
| | | has anyone else had this problem?
| | | Is it due to being a work account and not a personal pc - the
xlstart
| | folder
| | | is in
| | | c:\documents and settings\(your user name)\application
| | | daat\microsoft\excel\xlstart
| | |
| | | it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!!! Microsoft refer to it as being xlt
but
| it
| | just
| | | doesn't work!
| |
| |
| |

MrsMac2000

Jim - did another search and found another xlstart directory in here

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart

saved book.xlt in here and it worked but then what was really odd was that
we then copied this file into the original xlstart directory (and deleted the
one in office10) and that worked too, so we think it might have changed
something in the registry...
really weird...
I then deleted that book.xlt and re-created from scratch into the original
xlstart and it's now working...

Dave - nothing else in the xlstart directory, I removed everything else....

--

Dave Peterson