Default Relationship between Book.xlt and Options?

All -

It appears to me that if Book.xlt is present, it overrides the setting
in Options/General. Like wise for Sheet.xlt.

Is there more to it than that? Is this just two ways to skin a cat?

....best, Hash
fm

Here is what I think:
Do you have a book.xlt and sheet.xlt in your XLStart
Folder? "xlt"'s are templates. If you save a book.xlt to
your XLstart folder that will be used when you open excel
or start a new workbook. If you have a Sheet.xlt that
will be used when you do Insert Worksheet. This is easy
to test. Just do a search on the two files to see where
they are located. Open the files and put something in
them like your first name in A1 of the Book.xlt file and
your last name in the Sheet.xlt file. Then open Excel and
open a new document: it should open with the book.xlt
(first name) insert a sheet and it should come in with
your last name.) If you do not want these files used then
do not have them in XLstart or a place where they will be
used. To test it I would move them out of XLstart and put
them somewhere else. If they still open then I would
rename them to another extension for testing.

Dave Peterson

I think it's two ways to skin that cat.

For instance, if you change the Tools|Options|General tab|Sheets in new workbook
so that it doesn't match your book.xlt template workbook, the book.xlt wins.

Did you have a specific option that you want verified by someone else--or was
this just a general question/comment?

If you do have one, specify your version of excel and I bet someone will try it
for you.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave -

Just a general question. My workbooks and options were in disagreement,
and as you say, book.xlt was winning.

Thanks.

....best, Hash

wrote:

All -

It appears to me that if Book.xlt is present, it overrides the setting
in Options/General. Like wise for Sheet.xlt.

Is there more to it than that? Is this just two ways to skin a cat?

...best, Hash

Fm -

Got 'em and use 'em. I was just struck by the disagreement.

Thanks.

....best, Hash

.