thg

Default Do dropdown lists have an autocomplete function?

We have created a course registration form for our students. To insure proper
spelling and wording of course numbers and names, we have a drop down list
that has grown to about 160 course titles. The registrar has to scroll
through a large number of courses in the drop down list to get to, for
example, "PSY 101 An Introduction to Psychology". Is there some way to
include an autocomplete function so that when the registrar enters the cell
with the drop down list and begins typing PSY 10... the drop down list will
automatically go to PSY 101 An Intro...? I thank in advance whoever can help.
We use Excel 2003
Bob Umlas

If your dropdown list is created from the control toolbox
(View/Toolbars/Control Toolbox) instead of the forms toolbar, then this has
a property of MatchEntry, in which you can specify that the list scroll to
the first letter typed, or MatchEntryComplete.

Bob Umlas

"thg" wrote in message
We have created a course registration form for our students. To insure
proper
spelling and wording of course numbers and names, we have a drop down list
that has grown to about 160 course titles. The registrar has to scroll
through a large number of courses in the drop down list to get to, for
example, "PSY 101 An Introduction to Psychology". Is there some way to
include an autocomplete function so that when the registrar enters the
cell
with the drop down list and begins typing PSY 10... the drop down list
will
automatically go to PSY 101 An Intro...? I thank in advance whoever can
help.
We use Excel 2003

thg

Thank you for your reply. However, due to its brevity I was unable to
understand how to implement your answer. In fact I spent almost two hours
with Excel help and several Excel texts trying to find MatchEntry and how to
invoke it. The term MatchEntry was nonexistent as far as all the resources I
have. Could you possibly explain more completely how to invoke matchentry
within my drop down list? Also, I am not sure I understand how to create a
dropdown list from the control toolbox.

Actually, we simply created the list of courses on one worksheet, named it
and voila, it was available for drop down list creation in numerous cells on
another sheet of the workbook. The forms toolbar was not used.

Thank you,
thg

"thg" wrote in message
We have created a course registration form for our students. To insure
proper
spelling and wording of course numbers and names, we have a drop down list
that has grown to about 160 course titles. The registrar has to scroll
through a large number of courses in the drop down list to get to, for
example, "PSY 101 An Introduction to Psychology". Is there some way to
include an autocomplete function so that when the registrar enters the
cell
with the drop down list and begins typing PSY 10... the drop down list
will
automatically go to PSY 101 An Intro...? I thank in advance whoever can
help.
We use Excel 2003

no show all function in dropdown list in Pivot Table Eva Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 July 21st 05 02:28 AM
Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Autocomplete function Drsally Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 June 7th 05 03:29 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Dropdown lists metrueblood Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 February 10th 05 12:17 AM