Bigtherms

Default Converting Comma deliminted into Tab deliminted files

Hi All,

Just want to know how to convert "Comma deliminted" .csv files into
"Tab deliminted" .csv

Sorry it's probably a boring question, all help much appreciated.

Ryan.

--
Bigtherms
Bigtherms's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25904

Andrea Jones

Open your .csv file in Excel
Click on File - Save As
In the Save As Type box at the bottom of the window choose 'Text (Tab
Delimited)'
Click Save

Your file is now saved as tab delimited, open it in Wordpad to check.

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutclait.com

"Bigtherms" wrote:

Hi All,

Just want to know how to convert "Comma deliminted" .csv files into
"Tab deliminted" .csv

Sorry it's probably a boring question, all help much appreciated.

Ryan.

--
Bigtherms
Bigtherms's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25904
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392834

Bigtherms

Ok thanks –Slight confession needed since my first posting! Sorry I was
confused.

I’m actually using Excel 97 – I have a .csv file generated from a
Product Management System for CAD that when opened in 97 has all info
per row in the first cell. (what I now understand is probably Tab or
Space delimited)

What I need is this to be Comma Delimited but it’s not obvious in 97
how to convert or configure to be Comma Delimited upon opening.

I believe in 2000 there is a option under Data/ Get External Data.

So any ideas for this one? :)

Regards,

Ryan.

--
Bigtherms
Bigtherms's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25904
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392834

Dave Peterson

I'd guess your windows settings for the list separator is different from what
the program uses.

You could change your windows setting (from a semicolon to comma???), but that
affects all of windows. I would guess that you'd want to change it back after
you import the data. (It's under windows control panel|regional settings).

But since you have the data in column A, you could select column A and do
Data|Text to columns and specify the separator character.

After that's done, you can save the way you want.

Bigtherms wrote:

[...]

Bryan Hessey

I have also a copy of '97, and when you Open a .TXT file you are
generally taken through the wizard which allows you to specify the
format for your data, select Delimited <next select your desired
delimiter(s) (including Other ; etc), decide on 'Treat consecutive
delimters as one' <next, in the display, highlight any column of dates
and select the correct date format, then click Finish.

This imports data correctly, but as you have already imported the data
you can follow Dave's option of selecting column A and walk through the
wizard from there.

Bigtherms wrote:

Ok thanks –Slight confession needed since my first posting! Sorry I

was
confused.

I’m actually using Excel 97 – I have a .csv file generated from a
Product Management System for CAD that when opened in 97 has all

info
per row in the first cell. (what I now understand is probably Tab or
Space delimited)

What I need is this to be Comma Delimited but it’s not obvious in 97
how to convert or configure to be Comma Delimited upon opening.

I believe in 2000 there is a option under Data/ Get External Data.

So any ideas for this one? :)

Regards,

Ryan.

--
Bigtherms

Bigtherms's Profile:

View this thread:

Dave Peterson

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392834

Dave Peterson

So just to put a bow on Bryan's response...

If you change your filename from *.CSV to *.Txt and then you'll get the import
wizard when you do the File|Open.

Changing the windows list separator to match the data will mean you can just
double click on that *.cvs file in windows explorer (but this may affect other
things since it's a windows setting).