Delaina

Default Conditional Formating

I am trying to conditional format cells with a value that comes from a
formula
say mid(e6,5,4) = 2004 I want all 2004 values to show bold and red. But
can't seem to get the hang of it.

--
Delaina
Delaina's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24151

Dave Peterson

Something like:

=MID(E6,5,4) ="2004"

But if that formula is really returning a date:
=year(e6)=2004
would work better.

Delaina wrote:

I am trying to conditional format cells with a value that comes from a
formula
say mid(e6,5,4) = 2004 I want all 2004 values to show bold and red. But
can't seem to get the hang of it.

--
Delaina
Delaina's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24151
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392324

--

Dave Peterson
RagDyer

Maybe because the return of your formula is Text, since you used a Text
formula.

Either change your formula to return a *true* number:

=--MID(E6,5,4)

OR

Revise your CF formula to recognize Text:

Formula Is =A1="2004"
--
HTH,

RD

"Delaina" wrote in
message ...

I am trying to conditional format cells with a value that comes from a
formula
say mid(e6,5,4) = 2004 I want all 2004 values to show bold and red. But
can't seem to get the hang of it.

--
Delaina
Delaina's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392324

Delaina

Thanks-the number one did the trick. I know this may be a stupid
question-but if you put the hyphens infront of any formula will it
produce numbers? Is there anywere on the web little tips like that are
posted..?
Thanks again!

--
Delaina
Delaina's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24151
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392324

RagDyer

You wouldn't need it for "regular" formulas, because they're numbers
calculating numbers.

As I said, you used a Text parsing formula on numbers, forcing a Text
return.

=MID(E6,5,4)*1
=MID(E6,5,4)+0

Would have produced the same results

Use of the unary is just easier and quicker.

Check out this link of John McGimpsey:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

RD

"Delaina" wrote in