Karl Burrows

Default Count Text Values in Column

I converted a column of number cells to text to allow entry of 1a, 1b, etc.
and need to be able to count the totals of these cells. I can't give it
specific criteria to use DCOUNTA since the text value will vary. Is there a
way to get a count of non-blank cells in a column of text values?

Thanks!

Karl Burrows

As a note, I do not really care what the value is, I just need to count the
totals. If there is a way to reformat or remove text via a formula, that
would work as well. Thanks!

"Karl Burrows" wrote in message
I converted a column of number cells to text to allow entry of 1a, 1b, etc.
and need to be able to count the totals of these cells. I can't give it
specific criteria to use DCOUNTA since the text value will vary. Is there a
way to get a count of non-blank cells in a column of text values?

Thanks!

Dave O

Will COUNTIF() work for you?

Karl Burrows

The empty cells are not really blank, they are pulled from a database
worksheet using a formula, so their value is "". I tried it and it counted
all the cells as having a value.

Karl Burrows wrote:

I converted a column of number cells to text to allow entry of 1a, 1b,
etc.
and need to be able to count the totals of these cells. I can't give it
specific criteria to use DCOUNTA since the text value will vary. Is there
way to get a count of non-blank cells in a column of text values?

Thanks!

Max

"Karl Burrows" wrote
.. The empty cells are not really blank, they are pulled from a database
worksheet using a formula, so their value is "". I tried it and it

counted
all the cells as having a value.

Perhaps try something like, in say, B1:
=SUMPRODUCT((--(A1:A10<"")))

Adapt the range to suit, but note that
we can't use entire col references in SUMPRODUCT
--
Rgds
Max

Karl Burrows

That is perfect!!! Excellent!

What does the "?" do to the formula? I can see using the wildcard to pickup
anything that is text. Does the "?" just tell it to look at an unlimited
size field?

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try this:

=COUNTIF(A:A,"*?")