Muks

Default EXACT formula

I am using EXACT to compare a cell value with series e.g. =EXACT(B2,A1:A5).
It gives me TRUE only when B2=A2 and FALSE even though B2=A4.

What may be the issue? Pls suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Muks
Niek Otten

Excel Help states that EXACT compares two text strings, not one with a
series of strings. Use 5 formulas or VLOOKUP combined with EXACT.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Muks" wrote in message
I am using EXACT to compare a cell value with series e.g. =EXACT(B2,A1:A5).
It gives me TRUE only when B2=A2 and FALSE even though B2=A4.

What may be the issue? Pls suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Muks

David McRitchie

actually the help then shows an array example
{=OR(EXACT(TestValue, CompareRange))}
entered without the braces and using Ctrl+Shift+Enter

---
HTH,

"Muks" wrote in message
I am using EXACT to compare a cell value with series e.g. =EXACT(B2,A1:A5).
It gives me TRUE only when B2=A2 and FALSE even though B2=A4.

What may be the issue? Pls suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Muks

Domenic

Try...

=OR(EXACT(B2,A1:A5))

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Muks" wrote:

I am using EXACT to compare a cell value with series e.g. =EXACT(B2,A1:A5).
It gives me TRUE only when B2=A2 and FALSE even though B2=A4.

What may be the issue? Pls suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Muks

David McRitchie

and of course the whole purpose of using Exact is that the
lettercase must match.