Nancy Babbitt

Default Find and Replace

I have a list of names that are written as Last, First.

I want to divide this up so that column A contains only the last names and
column B contains only the first ones.

I have tried doing find *,* It does "find" each name, but when I tell it to
replace with ,* or * all it does is give me the comma and asterisk or
asterisk.

I know this can be done because I have done it before, but I keep forgetting
how.

Please help!

Thanks.

:-)
Phil

HI Nancy

assuming the names are all in the same column, try using the Text to
Columns tool to split them. You may need to paste the results into the
respective columns afterwards, but it's a nifty way of doing it!

HTH

Phil

Niek Otten

Or, if the names are more complex, look here

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Phil" wrote in message
ups.com...
HI Nancy

assuming the names are all in the same column, try using the Text to
Columns tool to split them. You may need to paste the results into the
respective columns afterwards, but it's a nifty way of doing it!

HTH

Phil

Karthik

If you have the name in A1 as Last, First

Enter in Cell B1 =MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,LEN(A1))
Enter in Cell C1 =MID(A1,1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

You can have all names in column A and then copy paste cells b1 and C1
till the last row containing name.

and if there is no space in the name after the "," then write this
formula in cell B1 ( C1 formula will remain unchanged)

Enter in Cell B1 =MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

Thanks
Karthik Bhat
Bangalore

Karthik

Type the name is cell A1 (last, first) and then enter these formulas in
B1 =MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,LEN(A1))
C1 =MID(A1,1,FIND(",",A1)-1)
If the name in cell A1 is last, first (without space after the symbol
"," ) then the formula in cell B1 will have to be

B1 =MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

Now you can copy paste these two in any no. of rows...

Thanks
Karthik Bhat
Bangalore