jwa90010

Default Find and replace of word causes change of font formatting

Hi,

I am having a problem with find and replace. In a cell with mixed format -
italics and regular text - when I do a find and replace of a "word" in the
text - it automatically changes all the formatting to italics. I have
quadrupled checked the "formatiing options" . That's not the reason. It
seems like a "default" to the system for it to go to "italics" if that is one
of the formats in the cell. I have looked this up in all available avenues
"Help", Micorsoft excel online, Microsoft Office, Goodgle. You name it. I
can't find anything on this subject. I did see another guy on one of these
forums had a similar problem, only excel was changing his color fonts when he
did a find a replace in a cell. Please, somebody help me. Thanks. jwa90010
Bernie Deitrick

jwa90010,

When Excel finds and replaces text, it applies the formatting of the first
text character of the existing string to the entire new string. That is just
the way that Excel behaves.

You would need to write a macro that records the formatting of each
character prior to the replace and reformats the cell after based on that
record. Not a simple macro, but do-able.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

[...]

jwa90010

Thanks for your response. I must admit I am stunned. Why would MS write its
program that way? I would think the default would be to keep the formatting
as is unless otherwise requested. As to writing a macro. That's out of my
league. I am a self-employed business woman . My business isn't computers.
How do I get a macro like your are suggesting written and installed in my
excel program? Thanks, Joy

[...]

Ralphael1

jwa90010 wrote:
Seems macros are the only way to go. Will learn macros now. Thanks. Joy

all snipped.....
If you want the ultimate help with macros look here for a start:
www.vbaexpress.com or www.officearticles.com/forums

Ralphael, the OLD one