Tom B via OfficeKB.com

Default Percent Change

I'm using the formula (A2-A1)/A1 to determine the % change between two cells.
I have an instance where I need to subtract the value of two cells from the
current cell before determining the % change. I've come up with several
different ways to arrive at the actual changed value (e.g. A3-SUM(A1:A2) or
SUM(A3-A2-A1) ) which return the correct value but when I try to arrive at
the % change from the original amount by adding "/A1" to the formula I get an
error. Am I way off?
Eric

Tom,

Could you post the end formula exactly as you typed it? It should work,
based on what you've said. Maybe you've misplaced a bracket or some other
typing error.

Regards,

Eric

"Tom B via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I'm using the formula (A2-A1)/A1 to determine the % change between two cells.
I have an instance where I need to subtract the value of two cells from the
current cell before determining the % change. I've come up with several
different ways to arrive at the actual changed value (e.g. A3-SUM(A1:A2) or
SUM(A3-A2-A1) ) which return the correct value but when I try to arrive at
the % change from the original amount by adding "/A1" to the formula I get an
error. Am I way off?

Niek Otten

What are the values? What exactly is your formula? What error do you get?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Tom B via OfficeKB.com" wrote in message

I'm using the formula (A2-A1)/A1 to determine the % change between two
cells.
I have an instance where I need to subtract the value of two cells from
the
current cell before determining the % change. I've come up with several
different ways to arrive at the actual changed value (e.g. A3-SUM(A1:A2)
or
SUM(A3-A2-A1) ) which return the correct value but when I try to arrive at
the % change from the original amount by adding "/A1" to the formula I get
an
error. Am I way off?

Tom B via OfficeKB.com

The cell values are C9=550675.20, C10=10172.47, C11=560854.64. When I enter
the formula "=SUM(C11-C10-C9)" the result is 6.97. When I change the formula
to read "=SUM(C11-C10-C9)/C9" the result becomes 1.26572E-05. JUST CAME UP
WITH THE ANSWER. (Talking about it must help). I increased the number of
decimal places in the format of the cell and the correct value is now being
displayed. Thanks for the reply.

Eric wrote:
Tom,

Could you post the end formula exactly as you typed it? It should work,
based on what you've said. Maybe you've misplaced a bracket or some other
typing error.

Regards,

Eric

I'm using the formula (A2-A1)/A1 to determine the % change between two cells.
I have an instance where I need to subtract the value of two cells from the

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
the % change from the original amount by adding "/A1" to the formula I get an
error. Am I way off?

Tom B via OfficeKB.com

As you can see from the prior message, I've resolved the problem. Thanks for
the reply.

Niek Otten wrote:
What are the values? What exactly is your formula? What error do you get?

I'm using the formula (A2-A1)/A1 to determine the % change between two
cells.

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
an
error. Am I way off?