blade444

Default How to password protect hidden columns and custom views in Excel

I want to create a spreadsheet with some columns that contain data that I
want to password protect to limit access to only some users. Alternatively, I
would like to create a custom view that hides these columns and then password
protect the view. I can't figure out how to do this. Any help?
NickNick

I presume that you want just a few columns protected and the rest of the
worksheet to be editable? (I think that's a real word!)

One option is to lock the cells you want protected:
- In your work sheet, press [Ctrl] + [A] to highlight all the cells
- Right click in the worksheet and select *Format Cells...*
- Go to the *Protection* tab and untick the *Locked* box and click
[OK]. (This will make all the cells editable once you've applied the
password)
- Select the columns you want protected.
- Right click in the highlighted area and select *Format Cells...*
- Go to the *Protection* tab again and tick the *Locked* box and click
[OK].
- *Go to Tools * *Protection* *Protect Sheet* and apply your
password and save.

When someone loads the file and tries to edit the columns you've
protected, they won't be able to. :)

--
NickNick
NickNick's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25520