freekrill

Default Files with Links

Hi,

I have a file which contains links to other workbooks. When I open it,
I get the message, "Do you wish to update links?"

My answer will always be "no".

Is there any way of stopping the message form appearing? (apart from
opening the file by a macro in a different file and setting
updatelinks: = 0)

Thanks for any help

free

--
freekrill
freekrill's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7561

Paul Sheppard

Open the file with the links, click on Edit, Links, in the Links
dialogue box that appears you will see details of the file that your
workbook is linked to, under source you will see the name of the file,
make a note of the file name and click on close to remove the dialogue
box

Now click on Edit, Find, the Find dialogue box will appear, in Find
what type the file name you made a note of and click on the find next
button this will take you to the links in your spreadsheet

You can then get rid of the links by overtyping them

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783

Adrian M

Another way (if using later versions of Excel) is to open the Edit Link
feature and choose which links you want to break. Be careful as there is no
going back from this. Can see how to do it on
http://www.auditexcel.co.za/othertools.html under External Links

"freekrill" wrote:

Hi,

I have a file which contains links to other workbooks. When I open it,
I get the message, "Do you wish to update links?"

My answer will always be "no".

Is there any way of stopping the message form appearing? (apart from
opening the file by a macro in a different file and setting
updatelinks: = 0)

Thanks for any help

free

--
freekrill
freekrill's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7561
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390824

freekrill

Thanks Paul and Adrian,

Unfortunately, I now know that I didn't make clear what I want to do. I
want to keep the links, but I don't want to update the links unless the
source documents are open. So if I open my document with links (and no
other docs are open) , I get that message box, "Do you wish to update
links?". In this situation I will always say no, although I will want
to update the links later. Can I stop that message box from appearing?

Thanks again for any advice

Best wishes
free