cmart02

Default Transition Navegation Key

I am bringing this question forward because I am more intrigued now than
before and I do not want to lose it.

Does anyone know how to change the registry for the following (see messages
belows):

CONVERSATION STARTS HERE (Dave, if you read this thread, could you let me
know how to do it? Thanks, Rob)

This is a setting that's stored in the Windows registry.

Maybe that other person doesn't have write access to the registry. (So the
setting never gets really changed.)

cmart02 wrote:

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the msg. I actually suggested that to him (something like a
template, AddIn), but the guy swears by God that all he did was to click on
it... As I'm in England and he's in Brazil I cannot ascertain that.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. By the way, I also suggested a VBA
code to turn if off, but he claims it only works once. The alternative was to
run this as an AddIn to disable it everytime Excel starts, but it does not
seem to be a good idea, only a paliative...

If you, or anyone else, have any other ideas, please make suggestions. This
is intriguing me...

Thanks
Robert

--

Dave Peterson

cmart02

I managed to figure it out!!

Dave, thanks for the tip. I went to the Registry and found where the option
was! I played with it and got it eventually. Have suggested this to my friend
but still don't know what happened... I will post in case of goods news
(whether on the "Write Access" or not)

For those who do not know:

1) Start -- Run
2) Type: regedit
3) Hit "enter"

Expand as follows:

1) HKEY_CURRENT_USER
2) Software
3) Microsoft
4) Office (your version, mine is 10.0)
5) Excel
7) Double-click on Option3 - REG_DWORD (right-hand side of box)

Change value from 3 to 40

I don't know if these values apply for all versions of Excel, though, but it
worked fine for me.

Gord Dibben

cmart02

Excel 2002 and 2003......

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\E xcel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

On the righthand pane you will see several Options keys

Options3 with Transition Navigation Keys checked in Excel will read (66)

Options3 with Transition Navigation Keys unchecked in Excel will read (64)

Modify that key.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

cmart02 wrote:

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the msg. I actually suggested that to him (something like a
template, AddIn), but the guy swears by God that all he did was to click on
it... As I'm in England and he's in Brazil I cannot ascertain that.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. By the way, I also suggested a VBA
code to turn if off, but he claims it only works once. The alternative was to
run this as an AddIn to disable it everytime Excel starts, but it does not
seem to be a good idea, only a paliative...

If you, or anyone else, have any other ideas, please make suggestions. This
is intriguing me...

Thanks
Robert

Gord Dibben

Correction in-line

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:48:42 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

cmart02

Excel 2002 and 2003......

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\ Excel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

On the righthand pane you will see several Options keys

Options3 with Transition Navigation Keys checked in Excel will read

0x0000042(66)

Options3 with Transition Navigation Keys unchecked in Excel will read

0x000040(64)

cmart02 wrote:

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the msg. I actually suggested that to him (something like a
template, AddIn), but the guy swears by God that all he did was to click on
it... As I'm in England and he's in Brazil I cannot ascertain that.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. By the way, I also suggested a VBA
code to turn if off, but he claims it only works once. The alternative was to
run this as an AddIn to disable it everytime Excel starts, but it does not
seem to be a good idea, only a paliative...

If you, or anyone else, have any other ideas, please make suggestions. This
is intriguing me...

Thanks
Robert

Dave Peterson

First, if you're screwing with the registry, back it up first. (You don't want
an expensive door stop.)

In xl2002:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\ 10.0\Excel\Options

Option3
for me, it had a hex value of: 4082
with that transition setting checked.

it had a value of: 4080
with that setting unchecked.

I'd guess you should subtract 2 from what you see in that value.

ps.
4080 Hex = 16512 Dec
4082 Hex = 16514 Dec

===============

Personally, if I couldn't get our IT staff to help me solve the problem writing
to my registry, I'd have a workbook in my XLStart folder. This workbook's only
purpose would be to toggle that setting and close itself (to get out of the
way).

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Application.TransitionNavigKeys = False
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Each time excel opens, it would open this workbook. The workbook would do its
stuff and close.

cmart02 wrote:

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the msg. I actually suggested that to him (something like a
template, AddIn), but the guy swears by God that all he did was to click on
it... As I'm in England and he's in Brazil I cannot ascertain that.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. By the way, I also suggested a VBA
code to turn if off, but he claims it only works once. The alternative was to
run this as an AddIn to disable it everytime Excel starts, but it does not
seem to be a good idea, only a paliative...

If you, or anyone else, have any other ideas, please make suggestions. This
is intriguing me...

Thanks
Robert

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Just to add.

You saw that your values for Option3 varied from both Gord's and mine.

Option3 holds more than this one setting. So you want to be a little careful!