Daibrush

Default How can I disable error pop-ups in Excel 2000?

Under normal circumstances, when you try to edit data that is protected you
get an error message dialog box saying that the data needs to be unprotected.
Does anyone know of a way that this function can be disabled so that the
user cannot see this box? This causes a problem because it effectively tells
them how to overcome the protected sheet, thus rendering the protection
pretty much pointless.
Jim Rech

I don't know of a way to prevent this alert from popping although I'd surely
use it if there were one. At least you can prevent people from following
the advice in the alert by assigning a password to the sheet protection so
they cannot turn it off.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Daibrush" wrote in message
| Under normal circumstances, when you try to edit data that is protected
you
| get an error message dialog box saying that the data needs to be
unprotected.
| Does anyone know of a way that this function can be disabled so that the
| user cannot see this box? This causes a problem because it effectively
tells
| them how to overcome the protected sheet, thus rendering the protection
| pretty much pointless.

Dave Peterson

Maybe you could stop them from using the cursor keys/mouse to select locked
cells on protected worksheets.

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
With Worksheets("sheet1")
.Protect Password:="hi"
.EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
End With
End Sub

Excel won't remember these settings after you close it and reopen the workbook
(that's why it's in auto_open).

Daibrush wrote:

Under normal circumstances, when you try to edit data that is protected you
get an error message dialog box saying that the data needs to be unprotected.
Does anyone know of a way that this function can be disabled so that the
user cannot see this box? This causes a problem because it effectively tells
them how to overcome the protected sheet, thus rendering the protection
pretty much pointless.

--

Dave Peterson
Daibrush

Hi Dave, Thanks for your suggestion. Perhaps it would be a useful
alternative to trying to disable the error box. I have also created a macro
to run on startup that hides the menu bar at the top of the screen to make it
a little more difficult to get into the file to change things.