andrewcodd

Default How do I sort alphabetically by last letter in Excel?

I have a pile of email addresses and i would like to go through them ordered
by company to see how many we have from each company and see who we have of
interest in our list? the list is ordered alphabetically and i would like it
remain ordered alphabetically but in the style of a rhyming dictionary ie
last letter given highest priority and the first letter the lowest. I am
suprised i couldnt find the answer in help because this is normally used for
lists of dates. ie put the year first, month second and day last then you
have from the date a numeric sequence corresponding to chronological order.
in summary i would like the list ordered alphabetically as if it were a
mirror image of itself. i use excel 2003. many thanks
Niek Otten

Easiest to introduce a helper column in which you put the reversed text, and
then sort both columns, using the helper column as sort key.

For the helper column:

Open the VB Editor (ALT+F11)
InsertModule
Paste this code in the code window:

Function Reverse(Text)
Dim i As Long
Reverse = ""
For i = Len(Text) To 1 Step -1
Reverse = Reverse + Mid(Text, i, 1)
Next
End Function

Now you can use the Reverse function in your worksheet. If A1 contains abcd,
and you put =Reverse(A1) in B1, then B1 will be dcba

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"andrewcodd" wrote in message
[...]

andrewcodd

many thanks. that seems like the bizz. i suppose it takes away the glory a
bit but i am so useless with computers that i cant follow through on the good
advice you have given me untill someone can help me use the function
function figuratively speaking. good advice to a bad general. luckily my
girlfriends brother is now hear to help. i live in spain and will help you
for soemthing in the future if you want. i know about music and art and also
marketing of technology. thanks again