TonyFrim

Default Spreadsheet not opening correctly

I have an Excel file that has been working with no problem for a very long
time.

It now opens with the window offset to the left of the main Excel window,
and I cannot drag it or resize it.

I can navigate within the speadsheet and between worksheets, but the columns
A and B are off the visible screen and when I move the cursor (using the
kaeyboard) I can access these cells but that is all. It does not move the
whole image to be visible.

There is no password set up and I have not used any macros or VBA in the file.

The file was originally created in Excel 97 and I have tried opening it in
versions 97, 2000 and 2003, all with the same result, and no error message!

All other files open normally.

Hari

Hi tony,

Probably its a freeze pane case.
Go to Windows - Unfreeze pane and .. after that you should be able to see
columns A and B as well.
--
Thanks a lot,
Hari

"TonyFrim" wrote in message
I have an Excel file that has been working with no problem for a very long
time.

It now opens with the window offset to the left of the main Excel window,
and I cannot drag it or resize it.

I can navigate within the speadsheet and between worksheets, but the

columns
A and B are off the visible screen and when I move the cursor (using the
kaeyboard) I can access these cells but that is all. It does not move the
whole image to be visible.

There is no password set up and I have not used any macros or VBA in the

file.

The file was originally created in Excel 97 and I have tried opening it in
versions 97, 2000 and 2003, all with the same result, and no error

message!

All other files open normally.

TonyFrim

Hi Hari

Thanks for the quick response.

I think you may be on the right track. Unfortunately, the Unfreeze Panes
option is greyed out.

What next?

Tony

"TonyFrim" wrote in message
I have an Excel file that has been working with no problem for a very long
time.

It now opens with the window offset to the left of the main Excel window,
and I cannot drag it or resize it.

I can navigate within the speadsheet and between worksheets, but the

columns
A and B are off the visible screen and when I move the cursor (using the
kaeyboard) I can access these cells but that is all. It does not move the
whole image to be visible.

There is no password set up and I have not used any macros or VBA in the

file.

The file was originally created in Excel 97 and I have tried opening it in
versions 97, 2000 and 2003, all with the same result, and no error

message!

All other files open normally.

Dave Peterson

Can you not drag it/resize it, because you can't get to the title bar?

If yes, then
Window|arrange|Tiled (and resize the way you want).

If no ('cause you can see the title bar and still can't move it), then it sounds
like the workbook is protected (with windows locked).

Tools|protection|unprotect workbook

You may need a password to unprotect it (even though you said...)

TonyFrim wrote:

I have an Excel file that has been working with no problem for a very long
time.

It now opens with the window offset to the left of the main Excel window,
and I cannot drag it or resize it.

I can navigate within the speadsheet and between worksheets, but the columns
A and B are off the visible screen and when I move the cursor (using the
kaeyboard) I can access these cells but that is all. It does not move the
whole image to be visible.

There is no password set up and I have not used any macros or VBA in the file.

The file was originally created in Excel 97 and I have tried opening it in
versions 97, 2000 and 2003, all with the same result, and no error message!

All other files open normally.

--

Dave Peterson
TonyFrim

Thanks Dave.

The workbook had been protected and I had to use a password cracker to find
it. The password turned out to be a very long string of random letters! I
have no idea what could have caused this.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

TonyFrim wrote:

I have an Excel file that has been working with no problem for a very long
time.

It now opens with the window offset to the left of the main Excel window,
and I cannot drag it or resize it.

I can navigate within the speadsheet and between worksheets, but the columns
A and B are off the visible screen and when I move the cursor (using the
kaeyboard) I can access these cells but that is all. It does not move the
whole image to be visible.

There is no password set up and I have not used any macros or VBA in the file.

The file was originally created in Excel 97 and I have tried opening it in
versions 97, 2000 and 2003, all with the same result, and no error message!

All other files open normally.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

If you want to know why you saw seemingly random letters, visit JE McGimpsey's
site:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

(He actually has code there that will break the worksheet protection and
workbook protection--the ones set via Tools|protection.)