reddog9069

Default Multiple Sheets in a template

Is it possible to have multiple worksheets in a template so when I
insert this template into a new workbook all the pages will come
along?

It seems that when I try and do this all my named ranges really get
messed up.

--
reddog9069
reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458

reddog9069

I guess my question is how do named ranges work on multiple sheet
templates?

Does a named range depend on the name of the template that it is in. I
have three sepearte templates that I want to combine into one template.

When I try and insert the combined template into a worksheet, even when
I rename the sheets, I get an error saying there is already a range with
that name in the worksheet.

But if I were to insert each worksheet individually each time I wanted
to insert another set of 3, as long as I rename each one it works
fine.

I do not understand why the combined template does not function
properly.

--
reddog9069
reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354

reddog9069

I have worked and manipulated my sheets every way I can think of and I
still get a conflict with the named ranges when I use my combined
sheet.

Has anyone every done something like this or can anyone provide a
little insight into any querks about multiple sheet templates?

--
reddog9069
reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354

reddog9069

This site loves to have massive updates at one time and bump everyone
down.

--
reddog9069
reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354

RagDyer

Are the links on the sheets (template) that you're inserting into the new WB
referring to sheet names that *already* exist in the new WB?

RD

"reddog9069" wrote
in message ...

I have worked and manipulated my sheets every way I can think of and I
still get a conflict with the named ranges when I use my combined
sheet.

Has anyone every done something like this or can anyone provide a
little insight into any querks about multiple sheet templates?

--
reddog9069
reddog9069's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354

reddog9069

Hmmm, there are no links, its named ranges that are giving me the
problems.

My combined template(which is 3 individual templates that I want
combined) has a few dynamic named ranges.

The combined template is basically a subtask so I will usually have a
few subtasks in each workbook.

I can add one combined template to a new workbook without a problem,
but adding the second one tells me the template I am trying to move or
copy contains the named range [fill in the blank] (I get one message
for each named range) and if I want to use the one already in the
workbook or rename the one that is coming in. My macro is adding the
subtasks so I cannot just rename each one.

The thing I do not understand is the way I was doing it was just each
subtask having to add all 3 individual templates which never gave me a
named range error, but that involves a lot more error checking, hence
the reason I want to make it more efficient.

--
reddog9069
reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354

Dave Peterson

I created a template with 8 worksheets. I saved it into my template folder.

I could rightclick on an existing worksheet tab and select Insert and point at
that template file.

All 8 sheets got added nicely.

As for the range names, have you thought about using worksheet level range
names? Then you won't have to worry about conflicts between names.

If I'm working on 'Sheet 2', I can create a worksheet level name by:
insert|name|define
Names in Workbook Box:
'Sheet 2'!myNameHere
Refers to:
='Sheet 2'!$A$1
(or whatever you want)

Each worksheet can have their own sheet level name.

If you work with names, do yourself a favor and get a copy of Jan Karel
Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

reddog9069 wrote:

[...]

reddog9069

Thanks for the reply.

I have made a template with three worksheets...no problem.
Two of the sheets in the template, have sheet level named ranges like
you said.

So I can easily insert the template into a worksheet once, but the
second time I get errors saying all the names are already in the
workbook.

Here is what I do not understand. If I have a template with a single
sheet, and it has named ranges, then if I insert that template into
another worksheet multiple times, the named ranges have no conflict.

Each worksheet has individual versions of the same name, based on how I
rename the worksheet.

If you will try it with a single worksheet template and you will see
how that works.

In the meantime I will look at name manager and see if that can help
me.

Thanks

PS-I am using Excel 2003 if that makes any difference

--
reddog9069
reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354

reddog9069

After a solid 8+ hours of work I finally figured out how to do this
relatively simple task.

Dave you have no idea how helpful that name manager add-in was in
solving this task.

Thank you so much.

That name manager gives you so much information and can perform things
that I have no idea how to do through just the basic
insert-name-define dialog.

For anyone who is having problems with this I can provide a pretty good
explanation of the problem and the solution if you want it.

Thanks again.

--
reddog9069
reddog9069's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24458
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388354

Dave Peterson

I think you'll find at least one name that is not local to the sheet.

When you fix that (or delete it), I bet you'll be set.

Be aware that excel does create some hidden names that could be causing the
trouble. But that NameManager addin will help you find and correct any
problems.