Cheryl R.

Default disable acess to external data

Our SQL tables are not secure & we've found that Excel 2003 allows users to
import data from the server without having to go through the ODBC DSN
process. I tried deleting the drivers, but Excel External data function
still works. Any ideas on how to disable Excel's access to our db?

Thanks

Cheryl R. wrote:
Our SQL tables are not secure & we've found that Excel 2003 allows users to
import data from the server without having to go through the ODBC DSN
process. I tried deleting the drivers, but Excel External data function
still works. Any ideas on how to disable Excel's access to our db?

If the user has access to the server, why not let them use Excel for
data? Turn it around, if you don't want a user to access the data then
revoke their permissions on the server.

Cheryl R. wrote:
Can't do that as they use power builder apps to read & write data to the
server. Any other ideas?

Are you say that power builder apps can't supply UID and PWD to the
server?

Cheryl R.

" wrote:

Cheryl R. wrote:
Can't do that as they use power builder apps to read & write data to the
server. Any other ideas?

Are you say that power builder apps can't supply UID and PWD to the
server?

Forgot to tell you we are starting to update the power builder apps with .net and use the user name & password to authenticate access to the .net app. These are stored in tables in the sql db. Here there is no user group profiles in sql, public user has the same rights as db owner. Any other suggestions?

Cheryl R. wrote:

<<Forgot to tell you we are starting to update the power builder apps
with .net and use the user name & password to authenticate access to
the .net app. These are stored in tables in the sql db. Here there is
no user group profiles in sql, public user has the same rights as db
owner.

If you success in disabling QueryTables, what about other data access
ADO, DAO, using System.Data.OleDb, etc? I think you need to secure you
database server properly.