Eva Anne

Default How do I save a merged label file to a cd?

I have done a label merge for a client. Unfortunatley, when I e-mail
to the client it comes to them gumbled. I attempted to burn a cd
but cannot open.
Help, someone, anyone.
thank you.

CyberTaz

Did you do the merge in Word using data from an Excel file? If so, which
version of Word are you using and which version of Word is the client using?
Otherwise, what software is involved?

Or are you just supplying them with an Excel file to use as a record source
for a merge they are generating. Again, what software is being used?

Also, what do you mean by 'gumbled'. I'm familiar with 'jumbled' and
'garbled', but this is a new one. Although I assume it may be a hybrid of the
two, it would still help if you could be more specific about why the file is
unusable at the other end.

BTW- Putting a copy of the file on CD will probably yield the same result
unless the problem is in the email client software.

Regards |:)

"Eva Anne" wrote:

I have done a label merge for a client. Unfortunatley, when I e-mail
to the client it comes to them gumbled. I attempted to burn a cd
but cannot open.
Help, someone, anyone.
thank you.

CyberTaz

One other thought I omitted from previous response- It is recommended that
files be copied from removable media to a hard drive rather than trying to
open the file from the CD.

HTH |:)

"Eva Anne" wrote:

I have done a label merge for a client. Unfortunatley, when I e-mail
to the client it comes to them gumbled. I attempted to burn a cd
but cannot open.
Help, someone, anyone.
thank you.

Eva Anne

Sorry, forgot my spell check :) - gumbled/jumbled/garbled and dense
describes how I feel right now.

Using Miscrosoft 2003, as is the client. Used an Excel file to make a merged
label file in Word. I am attempting to supplying them with a Word file
containing labels ready to pirnt.

Was I suppose to copy and paste
the information to a file and then save the file. Appreciate your help.

"Eva Anne" wrote:

I have done a label merge for a client. Unfortunatley, when I e-mail
to the client it comes to them gumbled. I attempted to burn a cd
but cannot open.
Help, someone, anyone.
thank you.

CyberTaz

Thanks for the add'l. info... Perhaps this is the issue;

When you created the Label doc in Word, did you give the client a copy of
_it_? If so, it is useless without the Excel file. It only holds coded
information about where the data is and what parts of it to use as well as
layout specs.

The last step (#6) of the Mail Merge offers the options to PRINT or EDIT
INDIVIDUAL LABELS. When you choose the latter it gives you a new file that
displays the data content on as many pages as necessary & the layout is based
on the type of label used. It is _that_ file which needs to be saved (as a
regular Word doc) and sent to the client so they can print the labels.

If this is what you did, the next possible cause of the problem is that when
you got to step #4 you may not have clicked the Address Block link or (more
likely) neglected to click the Update All Labels button.

Another consideration is that the recipient needs to download the attachment
Saved As a Word doc and work with it. If they just double-clicked the
attachment icon or saved it as a different file format, that could also be a
problem.

Good Luck |:)