Lynn Bales

Default How to add data to a column based on criteria from another

I have two columns one with a single employee id and the second column is the
employee name for several rows something like this:

1234 John Doe
John Doe
John Doe
3456 Jane Doe
Jane Doe
Jane Doe

How do I move the employee number down to coincide with its name and then
start the next employee and do the same thing without manually copying and
pasting.
RagDyeR

If your data is exactly as the example you posted, try this old trick:

Select the column of employee ID's, then:

Hit F5
Click "Special"
Click "Blanks"
Then <OK
Type the Equal (=) sign
Hit the UpArrow
Hit <Ctrl <Enter
--

HTH,

RD

"Lynn Bales" <Lynn wrote in message
I have two columns one with a single employee id and the second column is
the
employee name for several rows something like this:

1234 John Doe
John Doe
John Doe
3456 Jane Doe
Jane Doe
Jane Doe

How do I move the employee number down to coincide with its name and then
start the next employee and do the same thing without manually copying and
pasting.

Lynn Bales

Worked like a charm, except I didn't notice blank rows between each employee.
Is there a way to delete blank rows easily? I know these are basic questions
I'm just new to using the app. Thanks so much!

"RagDyeR" wrote:

[...]

RagDyeR

Appreciate the feed-back.

And would you mind sharing your solution with the group?

Others might very well benefit from the information posted here, just as you
did.

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote:

If your data is exactly as the example you posted, try this old trick:

Select the column of employee ID's, then:

Hit F5
Click "Special"
Click "Blanks"
Then <OK
Type the Equal (=) sign
Hit the UpArrow
Hit <Ctrl <Enter
--

HTH,

RD
Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may

benefit!