barrfly

Default higher order polynomial fit line x-coefficients

I want to feed the coeffieicent from a best fit polynimial line into
individual excel cells. I know that I can see the equation in the
chart view, but how do i get the coefficients? Much like getting the
slope of a straight line wioth the slope function.

Thanks

--
barrfly

Excel User - Energy markets
barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4141
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=386220

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

barrfly wrote:
I want to feed the coeffieicent from a best fit polynimial line into
individual excel cells. I know that I can see the equation in the
chart view, but how do i get the coefficients? Much like getting the
slope of a straight line wioth the slope function.

Thanks

You can do this just with the normal straight line fitting function LINEST() --
and some cleverness. Look at this web page for an example:

http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...Polynomial.htm

Take particular note of the last line telling you how to enter an array function
with Shift/Ctrl/Enter.

Good luck....

Bill
Jerry W. Lewis

LINEST is the easiest solution, but it is useful to compare LINEST
coefficients with those of the chart trendline, since LINEST can have
numerical problems under some circumstances.

Jerry

barrfly wrote:

I want to feed the coeffieicent from a best fit polynimial line into
individual excel cells. I know that I can see the equation in the
chart view, but how do i get the coefficients? Much like getting the
slope of a straight line wioth the slope function.

Thanks

Amedee Van Gasse

barrfly shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

I want to feed the coeffieicent from a best fit polynimial line into
individual excel cells. I know that I can see the equation in the
chart view, but how do i get the coefficients? Much like getting the
slope of a straight line wioth the slope function.

Thanks

This page would be interesting for you:

Amedee Van Gasse