boblock

Default #######?

I bought a new computer with an updated version of Excel post transfering my
old spread sheet to office 2003 I've found most of my dates now now read
#######. I have yet to figure out a way to insert a date (ie 7/9/05) without
this same issue occuring.
Paul B

boblock, the column is not wide enough to display the data, widen the column
or maybe change the formatting, I have seen dates change formatting when you
open a file in a newer version

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"boblock" wrote in message
I bought a new computer with an updated version of Excel post transfering

my
old spread sheet to office 2003 I've found most of my dates now now read
#######. I have yet to figure out a way to insert a date (ie 7/9/05)

without
this same issue occuring.

Dave Peterson

Just to add to Paul's response.

I bet your short date format is different in the new pc than in the old pc.

Using some formats, excel will pick up that windows format and use that.

You may want to fiddle with your windows setting
windows start button|control panel|regional settings
to change that date format.

(I like mm/dd/yyyy (leading 0's and 4 digit years). I've received workbooks
that were developed on pcs that used m/d/yy as the format. The column widths
had to be widened for me (and narrowed for those other users).)

boblock wrote:

I bought a new computer with an updated version of Excel post transfering my
old spread sheet to office 2003 I've found most of my dates now now read
#######. I have yet to figure out a way to insert a date (ie 7/9/05) without
this same issue occuring.

--

Dave Peterson
David McRitchie

I like yyyy-mm-dd myself, just wish the data entry was easier,
but it sure is easier read, and I don't really type all that many dates.
When it's sorted it really looks sorted, and it doesn't wobble around.
---
HTH,

boblock wrote:

I bought a new computer with an updated version of Excel post transfering my
old spread sheet to office 2003 I've found most of my dates now now read
#######. I have yet to figure out a way to insert a date (ie 7/9/05) without
this same issue occuring.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

It was a fight to get my coworkers to use 4 digit years!

I used to irritate them by asking what a date of 01/02/03 meant?

(when in doubt, a format that spells out the month may be the way to go.)

boblock wrote:

I bought a new computer with an updated version of Excel post transfering my
old spread sheet to office 2003 I've found most of my dates now now read
#######. I have yet to figure out a way to insert a date (ie 7/9/05) without
this same issue occuring.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Chip Pearson

Typically this indicates that the column is not wide enough to
display the date. Widen the column and it should go away.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson