QuartetmanIA

Default Entering data and spanning adjacent cells

(Using EXCEL 2003) version 11+

I have a worksheet setup and using a number of fixed lengthed columns across
the worksheet. I've entered my data in the columns. Now below the last
entries, I want to type a sentence beginning in column A and expecting it to
span across adjacent columns (B, C, D, whatever it takes.) When I do that,
starting in colum A, the sentence fills in just Column A and word wraps. I
don't want this. How can I get EXCEL to do what I want?

ATDHVAANNKCSE
Dave O

Right click on the cell, and click Format Cells from the list. Choose
the alignment tab, and de-select Wrap Text.

QuartetmanIA

I think I'm not making myself clear. The problem is not that it word wraps
in Col A... I want the sentence I type to start in Col A and continue to Col
B, C, D, etc.
Here is what happend when I did what you suggested: I typed:" Now is the
time for all good men" starting in COL A. What shows up is "the time for all
good men". "Now is" is missing.. somewhere to the left of COL A, I suppose.
De-selecting really didn't solve my problem.

Am I being more clear?

"Dave O" wrote:

Right click on the cell, and click Format Cells from the list. Choose
the alignment tab, and de-select Wrap Text.

QuartetmanIA

I guess I'm still not making myself clear or I'm the only person using EXCEL
who needs to do this. Here is an example of a spread sheet with columner
data and text lines following the data:

COL A COL B COL C COL D COL E COL F COL G COL H
Name Age Sex ST
Bill 55 M IL
Jane 45 F IA
Sue 57 M TN

This is the sample text I'd want to show on this spreadsheet.
It is spanning cols A thru col H

Does that help? I want to start typing in col A and continue across the
worksheet.

Dave

"QuartetmanIA" wrote:

(Using EXCEL 2003) version 11+

I have a worksheet setup and using a number of fixed lengthed columns across
the worksheet. I've entered my data in the columns. Now below the last
entries, I want to type a sentence beginning in column A and expecting it to
span across adjacent columns (B, C, D, whatever it takes.) When I do that,
starting in colum A, the sentence fills in just Column A and word wraps. I
don't want this. How can I get EXCEL to do what I want?

ATDHVAANNKCSE

QuartetmanIA

I got my answer from a very smart lady here at work. She's too modest to be
named here, plus she wouldn't want a bunch of strangers knowing her name on
the internet. ;-)

Anyway, the solution is the Merge and Center button.
(This is EXCEL Help's instructions after doing a SEARCH on "span cells" :)

Copy the data you want into the upper-leftmost cell within the range.
*** In this case, I typed my sentence in col A ***
Select the cells you want to merge.
*** I selected cols A thru col H ***
To merge cells in a row or column and center the cell contents, click Merge
and Center on the Formatting toolbar.
*** In my case, I selected Left align. ***

And that did what I wanted.
Thanks for taking the trouble to try and answer my question.

Dave

"QuartetmanIA" wrote:

(Using EXCEL 2003) version 11+

I have a worksheet setup and using a number of fixed lengthed columns across
the worksheet. I've entered my data in the columns. Now below the last
entries, I want to type a sentence beginning in column A and expecting it to
span across adjacent columns (B, C, D, whatever it takes.) When I do that,
starting in colum A, the sentence fills in just Column A and word wraps. I
don't want this. How can I get EXCEL to do what I want?

ATDHVAANNKCSE

Roger Govier

Glad you got sorted, but either of the two responses you received on
08/07/05 would have achieved the same result.

--
Regards
Roger Govier