Roger Govier

Glad you got sorted, but either of the two responses you received on
08/07/05 would have achieved the same result.

--
Regards
Roger Govier
"QuartetmanIA" wrote in message
I got my answer from a very smart lady here at work. She's too modest to
be
named here, plus she wouldn't want a bunch of strangers knowing her name
on
the internet. ;-)

Anyway, the solution is the Merge and Center button.
(This is EXCEL Help's instructions after doing a SEARCH on "span cells" :)

Copy the data you want into the upper-leftmost cell within the range.
*** In this case, I typed my sentence in col A ***
Select the cells you want to merge.
*** I selected cols A thru col H ***
To merge cells in a row or column and center the cell contents, click
Merge
and Center on the Formatting toolbar.
*** In my case, I selected Left align. ***

And that did what I wanted.
Thanks for taking the trouble to try and answer my question.

Dave

"QuartetmanIA" wrote:

I guess I'm still not making myself clear or I'm the only person using
EXCEL
who needs to do this. Here is an example of a spread sheet with columner
data and text lines following the data:

COL A COL B COL C COL D COL E COL F COL G COL H
Name Age Sex ST
Bill 55 M IL
Jane 45 F IA
Sue 57 M TN

This is the sample text I'd want to show on this spreadsheet.
It is spanning cols A thru col H

Does that help? I want to start typing in col A and continue across the
worksheet.

Dave

"QuartetmanIA" wrote:

(Using EXCEL 2003) version 11+

I have a worksheet setup and using a number of fixed lengthed columns
across
the worksheet. I've entered my data in the columns. Now below the
last
entries, I want to type a sentence beginning in column A and expecting
it to
span across adjacent columns (B, C, D, whatever it takes.) When I do
that,
starting in colum A, the sentence fills in just Column A and word
wraps. I
don't want this. How can I get EXCEL to do what I want?

ATDHVAANNKCSE