Daisy

Default How can I insert numerical bullets in a cell ex: 1a) ?

I am trying to insert several numerical bullets into a cell that contains
text. For example,
1a) example 1
1b) example 2
1c) example 3

How can I do this more easily than inserting 3 symbols 1, a, )?
ScottO

You could use a "helper" column with a formula in it.
Assuming that your text entries are currently in ColA starting at Row2, try

=1&Char(Row(A2)+95)&") "&A2

Char(97) = "a", so this will only work for 26 items in your list - it'll go
feral after that.
The formula could be modified for leading 2,3,4, etc. if you need as well.

Rgds,
ScottO

"Daisy" wrote in message
| I am trying to insert several numerical bullets into a cell that contains
| text. For example,
| 1a) example 1
| 1b) example 2
| 1c) example 3
|
| How can I do this more easily than inserting 3 symbols 1, a, )?

Daisy

Thank you ScottO, but My text entries are in the same cell as the numerical
bullets and the entries with the bullets have to be vertical.
I need to add 1a) before the text on one line in the same cell.
I need to add 1b) before the text on another line in the same cell
I need to add 1c) before the text to still another line in the same cell.

Before I was required to add the bullets I entered the information in one
cell as follows:
'- text entry then alt enter to go to next line
-text entry, alt enter
-text entry, alt enter and so on and so forth.

I now need to change the - to be a numberical bullet with a sub bullet for
lack of a better label of a, b, & c etc.

"Daisy" wrote in message
| I am trying to insert several numerical bullets into a cell that contains
| text. For example,
| 1a) example 1
| 1b) example 2
| 1c) example 3
|
| How can I do this more easily than inserting 3 symbols 1, a, )?

ScottO

OK, that's upped the ante a bit ...
I've got a solution of sorts. It's hardly elegant, and may not suit your
situation, but take a look anyway.

Assuming that your existing text is in ColA starting at Row3, and that each
text line within the cell starts with"- " ...
1. Fill range B1 to AA1 with the value 1 (I went out to AA to allow for 26
items within a cell. You can reduce this size if you don't need that much)
2. Enter the value 97 into B2
3. Fill B2 across to AA2, holding down Ctrl while you do it (so that you get
the series 97 - 122 filling the range)
4. Put this formula into B3, =SUBSTITUTE(A3,"-",B$1&CHAR(B$2)&")",1)
5. Copy the formula across Row3 as far as you need for the maximum number of
text lines in the original text entries.
6. Copy the formula down as far as needed.
7. Collect the amended text from the last column of formulas.

Rgds,
ScottO

"Daisy" wrote in message
| Thank you ScottO, but My text entries are in the same cell as the
numerical
| bullets and the entries with the bullets have to be vertical.
| I need to add 1a) before the text on one line in the same cell.
| I need to add 1b) before the text on another line in the same cell
| I need to add 1c) before the text to still another line in the same cell.
|
| Before I was required to add the bullets I entered the information in one
| cell as follows:
| '- text entry then alt enter to go to next line
| -text entry, alt enter
| -text entry, alt enter and so on and so forth.
|
| I now need to change the - to be a numberical bullet with a sub bullet for
| lack of a better label of a, b, & c etc.
|

| "ScottO" wrote:
|
| You could use a "helper" column with a formula in it.
| Assuming that your text entries are currently in ColA starting at Row2,
try

| =1&Char(Row(A2)+95)&") "&A2
|
| Char(97) = "a", so this will only work for 26 items in your list - it'll
go
| feral after that.
| The formula could be modified for leading 2,3,4, etc. if you need as
well.

| Rgds,
| ScottO
|

| "Daisy" wrote in message
| | I am trying to insert several numerical bullets into a cell that
contains
| | text. For example,
| | 1a) example 1
| | 1b) example 2