Betsy

Default I get # symbols in my cell instead of text

I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I see my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.
Barb R.

I believe there is a maximum number of characters in a cell before ### shows
for everything.

"Betsy" wrote:

I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I see my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.

Gordon

"Betsy" wrote in message
I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I see

my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.

Try widening the column

Betsy

I have widened it as far as possible and still no luck.

"Betsy" wrote:

I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I see my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.

Betsy

I seem to be only at 250 characters... what is the limit?

"Betsy" wrote:

I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I see my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.

Anne Troy

### sometimes occur when you create formulas that result in negative time
values, which isn't possible.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Betsy" wrote:

I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I

see my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.

Anne Troy

Betsy, when you click on the cell, what is the content of the formula bar?
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Betsy" wrote:

I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I

see my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.

Dave Peterson

If it's text, try changing the format of that cell to General.

Long text (255 characters to 1024 characters) in cells formatted as Text will
show as ####'s.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just hit this - the free microsoft works spreadsheet doesnt have this limit,
so what works in MS Works, fails after paying for excel2007. This doesn't
seem like an intentional limit, do you know if MS is aware of it or if there
is a way to open a bug report?

Betsy wrote:

I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I see my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, I don't think that MSWorks is free--it may have been bundled with your pc
when you purchased the pc, but I'm sure the price of the software was buried
into the price of the pc.

Second, I'm sure that MS is aware of the behavior.

Betsy wrote:

I have large blocks of text in some of my cells and they show up as
########## instead of the text I put there. If I click on the cell I see my
text above in the text edit box, but not on the spreadsheet.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, I am sure it was bundled in, but it is the low end product - Free was
excessive freedom of expression. The point being that the low end product
supported more than the high end one.