pat_rick

Default How can I extract hyperlink value

I copied a table from web site to excel ehich has the email address as
hyperlink to names of people. In Excel it appears as hyperlink and shoes the
name, and email address as hyperlink value.
How can I extract the hyperlink value and have the acctual email address on
another cell.

Thanks in advance
Dave Peterson

One way to extract those URL's from a hyperlink created via Insert|Hyperlink
is with a userdefinedfunction.

Here's one that may help:

Option Explicit
Function GetURL(Rng As Range) As String
Application.Volatile

Set Rng = Rng(1)

If Rng.Hyperlinks.Count = 0 Then
GetURL = ""
Else
GetURL = Rng.Hyperlinks(1).Address
End If
End Function

So if you had a hyperlink in A1, you could put =getURL(a1) in that adjacent
cell.

Be aware that if you change the hyperlink, then this formula cell won't change
until your workbook calculates.

Short course:

Open your workbook.
Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros/UDF's live)
hit ctrl-R to view the project explorer
Find your workbook.
should look like: VBAProject (yourfilename.xls)

right click on the project name
Insert, then Module
You should see the code window pop up on the right hand side

Paste the code in there.

Now go back to excel.
Into a test cell and type:
=getURL(a1)

=====
this will return

If you want to drop the mailto:, you could just use:
=mid(getURL(a1),8,255)

(make 255 big enough for the longest address)

--

Dave Peterson